News Death by curry with hidden peanuts

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Indian takeaway owner Mohammed Zaman, who has been found guilty of the manslaughter of a customer with a nut allergy, was still selling "nut-free" curries containing peanuts on the day after the tragedy, trading standards officers have said.

Paul Wilson, 38, died after ordering a chicken tikka masala from the Indian Garden restaurant, in Easingwold, North Yorkshire, on 30 January 2014.
More: Nut curry death: Mohammed Zaman continued selling dangerous meals - BBC News (23. May 2016)

The owner was a very irresponsable man as the restaurant used cheap nut flour which contained peanuts instead of almonds. He didn't seem to show any remorse and was sentenced to 6 years in jail. He'll most probably get away with half of the sentence.

This makes me wonder if I had a serious food allergy would I trust restaurants to serve me food that was free of the allergen in question ? I don't think so.

Reactions: ledboots
The owner was a very irresponsable man as the restaurant used cheap nut flour which contained peanuts instead of almonds. He didn't seem to show any remorse and was sentenced to 6 years in jail. He'll most probably get away with half of the sentence.

This makes me wonder if I had a serious food allergy would I trust restaurants to serve me food that was free of the allergen in question ? I don't think so.
This. My niece and nephew (in their 20s) have celiac disease, and very rarely eat at restaurants because of cross-contamination. It was sad seeing them at a family wedding recently eating plain bananas while everyone else feasted, including us vegans.

I talked with the two later about preparing something to bring along to eat on these occasions. My niece said she didn't want to be rude by bringing her own food, so I talked to her about my veganism and stuff we do to live a normal social life. They are omni (I am trying, believe me!)and some of the food they eat has got to be hard on the gut. Greasy burgers, milk products galore, Starbucks coffee, etc. :/