Deadly Dangers in the Foods We Love

Why do they allow them to sell rhubarb with its leaves in stores if the leaves are known to be poisonous? That's irresponsible of the Bureau of Consumer Protection.

Before we just assume everything we read is true, what's the source of the information? This article isn't about everyday foods, but about rare cases. Interesting read, however.

Why do they allow them to sell rhubarb with its leaves in stores if the leaves are known to be poisonous? That's irresponsible of the Bureau of Consumer Protection.

Rhubarb wilts very quickly and much more quickly once the leaves are removed.

That being said, I don't think I've ever seen it in a store with the leaves still on.

I knew that castor plants, and especially the seeds (beans) are poisonous, but I never made the connection to castor oil (which I've only read about, never encountered IRL).

I knew that castor plants, and especially the seeds (beans) are poisonous, but I never made the connection to castor oil (which I've only read about, never encountered IRL).

I picked up aq small bottle of castor oil in Kroger's. I think I read somewhere that if you apply it topically, it can help remove skin tags. I guess castor oil is or was also used as a laxative, but I'd be very hesitant to ingest it.

My mother used to plant some castor beans for landscaping purposes when I was growing up. They were annuals, of course, but they grew rapidly, reaching the roof line by early July, and made a very spectacular show. I remember being cautioned to not put any part of the plant in my mouth.

Have been eating apples including the core for 40+ years, still alive :D
You're obviously a freak. :p

I eat the cores too. An animal the size of a human would have the eat a hell of a lot if apple seeds at a time in order to suffer adverse consequences.

I have only ever seen rhubarb stalks for sale in stores and farmers’ markets. I grow it myself, and I was already aware of the danger in the leaves. I read that some people died during WWII by heeding US gov’t advice to grow and eat lots of rhubarb stalks and leaves. But a leaf or two won’t do more than make the average person queasy.