Daiya dairy-free greek yogurt alternative

Forest Nymph

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I tried the black cherry today and it is really good, better than Kite Hill almond yogurts IMO.

Also I know Daiya is controversial but the company is vegan and I have well thought out arguments to defend their company if anyone has concerns.

I personally didn't like their greek yogurt. I found it to be too sour for me. I bought some on sale and just added milled flaxseed to them. Their mac and cheese and blocks are amazing though. I've never heard of them as controversial.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
I personally didn't like their greek yogurt. I found it to be too sour for me. I bought some on sale and just added milled flaxseed to them. Their mac and cheese and blocks are amazing though. I've never heard of them as controversial.

Some people argue that they aren't vegan because they were bought out by a major corporation which is not vegan. However, I do not subscribe to this logic - even when a smaller company is bought out by a parent company, the smaller company often still runs ethically (and yes in this case it does) only using plant-based ingredients and refraining from animal testing (when applicable, such as for cosmetics like Nyx).

I do not like this reality of corporate capitalism at all - I am not defending corporate capitalism. However, in light of the reality of how the economic world currently runs, smaller companies can maintain their vegan integrity even when bought out by the larger companies.

Also, a good thing that comes of these exchanges is that the vegan product often gets cheaper and more widely available (to people in small towns, or being served in restaurants) because bigger companies have this sort of power. This is part of what causes vegan or plant-based foods, cosmetics and other items to slowly become "mainstream."