D3 and other animal derivatives - cereal!

AvocadoTrees

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Is D3 always animal based? So many cereals have D3! I'm an absolute FREAK for Cheerios and Frosted Mini Wheats...and apparently neither are vegan. I don't eat very many cereals, but when I get a hankering, a bowl really hits the spot. What are your favorite vegan cereals that are readily available? Hidden animal derivatives SUCK.

My oatmeal has only one ingredient. Oats.
I think in general Trader Joe's cereals are vegan. At least all the ones in my cupboard are.

Reactions: Chryssie
I read labels religiously! Watch out for gelatin too!

The other thing you have to look out for is red dye #4.

"Anytime you see an ingredients list that includes carmine, cochineal extract or natural red 4, you can be sure that there's a little powdered bug therein."​

Unfortunately, these food colorings are a lot more pervasive than one would think. I try to avoid them. Not just because of any vegan doctrine but because who wants to eat bug parts.

"Cochineal may be made from bugs, but other synthetic red dyes such as Red No. 2 and Red No. 40, which carry far greater health risks, are derived from either coal or petroleum byproducts. Compared with these sources, bugs might sound positively appetizing. "​

I have pretty much gotten over the examining labels phase. I will check when buying something for the first time (especially if it's red) but mostly for those things like milk and egg products. I also don't lose any sleep on any ingredients that are measured in milligrams. There is sort of a trade-off there in personal purity vs obsessing over the little ****. Sometimes I just don't give a **** about the details. My motto: Don't let perfection be the enemy of good.

-https://www.livescience.com/36292-red-food-dye-bugs-cochineal-carmine.html

Always check store and generic brands, sometimes they're differnent
I used to see this cereal in my discount store but not for some time-it's super good!
When at the discount store it was under $3, I have no idea how much it sells for now

I haven't eaten cereal for some time, I remember Aldi cereals used to be free of D but then they changed.If you go to Aldi check them out because they do change things

I love cereal! I look for no added sugar too. You have to stick to the very basic cereals with very few ingredients.

Here's the best vegan brownie-ever--
A bowl of cocoa rice with just enough non dairy milk to moisten without floating
Closest thing to a brownie mix brownie made with egg I've ever had

• Wow
Reactions: Lou
Is D3 always animal based? So many cereals have D3! I'm an absolute FREAK for Cheerios and Frosted Mini Wheats...and apparently neither are vegan. I don't eat very many cereals, but when I get a hankering, a bowl really hits the spot. What are your favorite vegan cereals that are readily available? Hidden animal derivatives SUCK.

Reality check! The vitamin D3 content of Cheerios is minuscule.

A serving of Cheerios contains 10% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin D: Honey Nut Cheerios | Gluten Free Oat Cereal | Cheerios. The RDI for vitamin D is 15 mcg (micrograms): Office of Dietary Supplements - Vitamin D.

So each serving of Cheerios contains 1.5 mcg (micrograms) of vitamin D per serving. This is 1.5 millionths of a gram. It is minuscule. Cheerios is 99+% vegan, so let's not avoid our favorite cereals.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Lou
Vitamin D3 is traditionally only obtained from the sun and animal products. Since the vegan diet reject any animal products it has been impossible up until now to get D3 (9-times more effective than D2) through the vegan diet. Luckily, nowadays it can be extracted from lichen and microalgea as well and hopefully we will see food providers using vegan d3 in non-meat products for the betterment for all.

A lot of the vegan supplements and things like plant milks use D3 produced in big vats of microalgae.

A lot of the vegan supplements and things like plant milks use D3 produced in big vats of microalgae.

Hi Lou! Thank you for your reply. That's amazing. Could you please provide some examples pf such supplements and products? I only know of VegD3 that is a D3 derived from lichen.

Hi Lou! Thank you for your reply. That's amazing. Could you please provide some examples pf such supplements and products? I only know of VegD3 that is a D3 derived from lichen.

I'm a big fan of DEVA

Here is their D3 supplement

I'm pretty sure that all of DEVA's products that contain D3 use vegan D3. I like the Tiny Tablets multis.

I checked the two plant milks that I had in the frig and they just said D or D2. but I thought I had bought a brand that used vegan D3. but I don't know now which brand that was. Or maybe I remember it wrong.

I think i get enough d from a combination of going outdoors and food. They have vitamin D calculators online but I haven't used them (they are complicated).

I read somewhere that going outdoors for about 45 minutes a week should be enough for most people in most places. And the best time is around noon.

Reactions: PTree15