Curious

When I became vegan, some of my food choices changed, but my eating times and calorie needs didn't really change.

I go between 4 and 6 hours between meals. and i sometimes snack between meals.

How long do you guys go between meals? Do you snack ? How many calories do you average per day ?

The times I go between meals generally depends on the size of the meal and what was in it. I sometimes eat a meal that is large enough to last half the day, and sometimes I eat smaller meals with snacks in between.

Calorie needs fluctuate with activity level and/or desire to lose/gain weight. Asking this is sort of a pointless unless one is aware of a person's height, build, whether they work out/exercise and how much, whether they are fasting or semi-fasting, if they are trying to put on muscle or lose some unneeded fat etc.

You'll find vegans that eat super healthy, some mostly healthy, and some on somewhat of a junky diet and anywhere in between. As a whole, we are a pretty diverse group and there is no one size fits all. The common bond among all of us is the avoidance of eating any animal products.

Reactions: Lou
Oh, when I'm careful about what I eat I consume 1600 calories a day ± 200. I've found that if i eat much more than 1600 calories a day I gain weight.

I also have a new bad habit of skipping meals. Sometimes I don't get around to breakfast till its almost lunchtime. and then I skip lunch and have an early dinner. I probably could call it intermittent fasting. but it isn't deliberate.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
i never watch calories or fat intake. I never want to snack. I'm pretty skinny though. 😺

• Informative
When you look at my avatar, you might be surprised to learn that I never have to count calories.

• Friendly
I'm not sure why you're asking, but to make this useful data: I'm a 5'5" female aged 47... activity level light to moderate. I'm more interested in being healthy than fit.

I have two large meals and two snacks followed by a light dinner that's usually veggie broth-like soup or berries/seeds. I eat my heaviest meals between 7am and 1pm, taking in 85-95% of my calories before 3pm. (not because intermittent fasting is the hot, new answer or front-loading calories may allow for better 'burning') I have a hereditary hiatal hernia and eating after 6-7pm means I lose quality sleep. (Lack of sleep makes me not the nicest and my husband agrees I should stop eating whenever I want. Surprise!)

On average, I consume between 1200 and 1800 by 3pm with a strong focus on seeds and nuts as additives to meals and/or snacks. Omega 3s! Daily, I average between 1400 and 1900 calories. I don't count calories, but I do weigh a food's overall nutrient value before I incorporate it into my meals. I'm slightly obsessed with the Cronometer app, or I'd have no idea about my average calorie consumption.

Reactions: David3
I don't watch calories or diet but am aware that I eat 2000+ calories a day, never miss a meal, snack often as I'm definitely a grazer - never going more than a few hours between eating 🙈 & am a perfectly healthy weight (probably on the lower side.)

Intuitive eating? Listen to your body & you'll be fine.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou and shyvas
Between 4 to 5. I can't go too long without food,as I'm sensitive when having low blood sugar levels. The latter often is a migraine trigger.

I sometimes have a snack but it really depends on where I am and if my last meal was satisfying or not. I've noticed that I have a tendency to snack more when I'm at home. I never snacked at work or if I'm visiting friends or family.