US Cultured meat company hiring in California

David3

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Looks interesting. Cultured meat ("vat-grown meat") company Memphis Meats has several job openings posted on its website: Careers — Memphis Meats.

They are located in Berkeley, California, and they claim that they will start selling their cultured meat in 2021: (Inc. Magazine article: Why This Cardiologist Is Betting That His Lab-Grown Meat Startup Can Solve the Global Food Crisis ). If I were younger, and single, I would try for the mechanical engineering position.

Per this Wall Street Journal article, Cargill - one of the largest agri-business companies in the United States - has invested in Memphis Meats (along with Bill Gates and Richard Branson): Cargill Invests in Startup That Grows ‘Clean Meat’ From Cells

Dozens of other cultured meat companies are also working to lower the cost of vat-grown meat.

Last edited:
Would be so wonderful to push for cat food! Although I suppose that may not go well if they want people to eat it--

Muscle tissue grown in a lab is still muscle tissue. It may not be part of a sentient being, but I wouldn't want to eat it.
Neither would I! I will always have the memory of biting into a chicken piece thinking it was cauliflower. Bile welled up in my throat, it tasted rank, I spit into my hand not knowing what or why it was like that. This was at Trader Joes-the sample counter was labeled for a cauliflower blend I knew was vegan. The woman said they changed or added chicken and apologized.
There is a limited number of people I know who would --if it were close enough and cheap enough

Neither would I! I will always have the memory of biting into a chicken piece thinking it was cauliflower. Bile welled up in my throat, it tasted rank, I spit into my hand not knowing what or why it was like that. This was at Trader Joes-the sample counter was labeled for a cauliflower blend I knew was vegan. The woman said they changed or added chicken and apologized.
There is a limited number of people I know who would --if it were close enough and cheap enough

Yeah, I think it would be off-putting to meat-eaters and veggers alike, and for similar reasons.

But maybe this is where we're headed. A lot of new technology evokes the same, "Ew!" response, and then people become accustomed to it (for better or worse) because it's convenient or offers a clear advantage. Or it's essentially forced on us (like all the mysterious ingredients in fast food).

I mean this might not be popular in the way it's presented now. But if all McDonalds burgers were made this way and they tasted the same, people would probably keep eating them.

Yeah, I think it would be off-putting to meat-eaters and veggers alike, and for similar reasons.

But maybe this is where we're headed. A lot of new technology evokes the same, "Ew!" response, and then people become accustomed to it (for better or worse) because it's convenient or offers a clear advantage. Or it's essentially forced on us (like all the mysterious ingredients in fast food).

I mean this might not be popular in the way it's presented now. But if all McDonalds burgers were made this way and they tasted the same, people would probably keep eating them.

Consumer acceptance polls show that a significant number of people are interested in trying cultured meat.

In the UK, this 2017 poll by Harris Interactive showed that 15% of the UK population wanted to try cultured meat: Attitudes towards Cultured Meat - United Kingdom. 15% of an entire population is a lot of cultured meat sales.

According to this MarketsandMarkets report, the cultured meat industry is projected to be worth $214 million by 2024: Cultured Meat Market | Size | Industry Outlook | Trends | Forecast to 2032 . That's a "small" number, compared to the value of the world meat market, but it's enough to make money and invest in further research.

In the United States, younger people appear to be more interested in cultured meat. Most Amercans under the age of 40 appear willing to try cultured meat. Most people over the age of 40 are not willing: Consumers aren't necessarily sold on 'cultured meat'

1590250704149.png

Last edited:
As with plant-based meat, we vegans are not the primary target consumers for cultured meat. Omnivores are expected to be the primary consumers. That's a good thing - we want people to eat less meat-cut-from-an-actual-animal.