Crackers deadly to birds

I learned this when I started caring for someone's ducks. I looked up what was safe to feed them and no bread came up in red letters on the websites. The owner had been feeding them bread everyday for years as part of their diet. Some of them were sickly, one even had a twisted spine, and I heard they never lived long. She would just go and get another one whenever one died. :( When I started caring for them, I cut out the bread. She had a fit and didn't care if it was unhealthy, but in the end I won out, and they stopped getting bread. I hope she didn't start giving it to them again after I left.

This site suggests bread, including raw pastry dough, as being suitable. The author of this page might be a bit misinformed.
I think she's just cutting pasting different articles she finds on the internet, because in another one she does say that bread is bad.

Is it specific to white bread? What about whole wheat...I sometimes feed that to the wild turkey that visit every day. :(

^^^ Karen, it might be that some of these foods are only bad if the animal gets a steady diet of them. Hopefully, an occasional snack of bread won't be so harmful? Let's try to find out though. The internet can have a lot of disinformation on it... I'll do a bit of digging around. I think my state wildlife agency might have some information about foods not to give wildlife.

It's truly scary how some things can be bad for animals, but you would have no idea these things were dangerous to them. I did hear or read that you sometimes have to be careful about feeding animals in ways that might cause them to gather in large numbers, and help diseases spread among them.

The problem with bread is that it's like junk food to the birds, and has no nutritional value. They love to eat it and will fill up on it, leaving no room to eat healthy, nutritious food. It can cause them to gain a lot of extra fat as well, just like people. In ducks (not sure about other birds), that fat can cause organ damage as it fills them up internally.
The same goes for iceberg lettuce (it's romaine lettuce in the pictures). It just fills them up, but doesn't offer anything nutritionally.

Is it specific to white bread? What about whole wheat...I sometimes feed that to the wild turkey that visit every day. :(
You can give them chopped fruits and veggies, they love those. :)

Here's some pictures from their Thanksgiving feasts, you can kind of see what they're eating.
Woodstock Sanctuary
608235d8daf2099df0bea636fbcd7cbc.jpg

Farm Sanctuary
20051125_Farm-Santuary-Thanksgiving.jpg
bcbd6aa5dc1bc4a5c8b32831a6ba2c0e.jpg

Reactions: KLS52
That's cool. I googled a bit and they also like nuts and seeds.I found information on how to plant stuff in your garden that is part of their natural diet. I have a hickory nut tree that I'm trying to grow. It's still small and hasn't produced nuts yet.

They only get one slice of WW bread every few days. I don't feed them every day. They come around at least 2-3 times a day. There are a couple of different flocks. One has three adults and five teenaged turkey kids and another group has two adults with 11 tiny babies. So cute! So I don't think it's a lot of bread for that many turkeys. I'll probably cut it out, though. Some of them are getting too friendly. They'll come within three feet of me when they see me. Not cool to have them not fear humans.

Reactions: Tom L.
The bread thing is more of a danger for birds in parks and other public places, where everybody brings bread to feed them and they get a ton of it.

Reactions: KLS52
Ahhh...makes total sense. I had trouble with the link so never saw the video.

The problem with bread is that it's like junk food to the birds, and has no nutritional value. They love to eat it and will fill up on it, leaving no room to eat healthy, nutritious food. It can cause them to gain a lot of extra fat as well, just like people. In ducks (not sure about other birds), that fat can cause organ damage as it fills them up internally.
The same goes for iceberg lettuce (it's romaine lettuce in the pictures). It just fills them up, but doesn't offer anything nutritionally.

You can give them chopped fruits and veggies, they love those. :)

Here's some pictures from their Thanksgiving feasts, you can kind of see what they're eating.
Woodstock Sanctuary
608235d8daf2099df0bea636fbcd7cbc.jpg

Farm Sanctuary
20051125_Farm-Santuary-Thanksgiving.jpg
bcbd6aa5dc1bc4a5c8b32831a6ba2c0e.jpg

What gorgeous pix. :up: I prefer to see turkeys on Thanksgiving alive and happy than rather dished up on a plate.