Music Country music sexist

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, and to a lesser degree Miranda Lambert get a lot of airplay. Other than that female solo singers tend to perform poorly on the charts. Why do you think Country music is allowed to get away with this?

I thought this was going to be about country music songs being sexist, because in country music, women are either cheaters, something to sleep with, and/or someone who takes care of their hardworking man. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't know, the portrait painted of the men isn't particularly glamorous, either. Rule of thumb: never have any kind of relationship with anyone mentioned in a country song. This coming from someone who likes some country music.

Reactions: Calliegirl
It's odd to me that a singer who does mostly Pop songs(Swift) gets major airplay while a singer who does true Country music(Kellie Pickler) is ignored. It's a tragedy as to what the genre has become.

I once heard country music now described as pop songs with fiddle. There is still some good female-fronted country out there. I think they call it Americana now or something. I really like Gillian Welch and, if I may go back in time a little, Cowboy Junkies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dedalus
I thought this was going to be about country music songs being sexist, because in country music, women are either cheaters, something to sleep with, and/or someone who takes care of their hardworking man. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

+1 Callie

I'm working on a country song right now - I think I'll start it out with this:

Drinking cold beer and down on my luck
Hey pretty thang won't you jump up in my truck...

I hit all the key formula topics in just 2 lines: Bad luck, beer, girls and trucks. Boom. It's a good start right? ....Right??

:fp:

+1 Callie

I hit all the key formula topics in just 2 lines: Bad luck, beer, girls and trucks. Boom. It's a good start right? ....Right??

Where's the dog?

Reactions: Dedalus
+1 Callie

Yup- you're off to a good start. I think you'll have a hard time topping "Convocation", though (I think that was the title... in parts, it sounded sort of African.)

WHOA. I didn't mean to imply that "Convocation" is a country song- I genuinely liked that. The video was funny, but the song was genuinely catchy. (I missed a lot of the lyrics, but I usually do).

On a more serious note, I do think that country music is a style very steeped in tradition, too steeped for it own good. In a generation where women are trying to throw off a lot of the ******** that gets lumped under the 'tradition' banner, I'm not sure that the style appeals to women of today. Also, it's a style that doesn't exactly lend itself to experimentation. I mean, I can hear a country song on the radio and can't tell you if it was written yesterday or 3o years ago. I think a lot of the fanbase isn't exactly receptive to that sort of thing. I could be way off base, of course.
I don't mind songs about home, dirt roads, drinking and carousing, or hopping in the truck and going for a ride. Hell, most of my favorite songs are drinking and cruising songs. I just don't want to hear them all the time. Something a little different is warranted.

^^^I think you're right about CM not being one of the more innovative styles of music, certainly not compared to rock or folk. Although back in the '70s, it was sometimes hard to tell the difference between "soft rock" or pop and Country.

From the 1980s to the early 1990s I'll confess I sometimes listened to country music which was current at the time, but I've lost interest in it for some time now.

"Bro Country" how accurate. :lol:

“Girl in a Country Song,” the breakout first single from duo Maddie & Tae, just hit No. 1 on the Mediabase and Billboard country airplay charts this week. It’s cause for a lot of folks to cheer: For Maddie Marlow and Tae Dye, enjoying a triumphant debut before either turns 20. For Big Machine president Scott Borchetta, who signed the unknown pair this year to his new imprint Dot Records. And for anyone sick of “bro country,” the massively dominant sub-genre that celebrates endless streams of ice cold beer, those rambling dirt roads to the old swimming hole and hot girls with long, tan legs dangling off of the back of truck tailgates.

“Girl in a Country Song” brilliantly mocks this bro country, in the voice of a woman who is tired of being half-clothed and always riding shotgun — seems that country girls never get to drive. “Well I wish I had some shoes on my two bare feet,” the song opens. “And it’s getting kinda cold in these painted on, cut-off jeans/I hate the way this bikini top chafes/Do I really have to wear it all day?”...

‘Girl in a Country Song’ hits No. 1 by mocking bro country. The bros aren’t laughing. - The Washington Post

My trucks got nuts but my poor dog doesn't
Cheated on my wife with some of my cousins
I thought my fridge was empty of beer
Opened the door and saw that it wasn't

Album hits stores Spring 2015

Last edited:
Country is not the only sexist genre.., by far.