Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
It's on the news every single hour and some people have changed their habits in their every day lives.
I wash my hands far more frequently and always when I get back from the shops or doctors surgery. Moreover,
I try and not put my bare hands on door handles.

• Probability of infection for the EU/EEA and UK population is considered very low. While there have been both
  • imported and locally acquired cases reported from seven EU/EEA countries and from the UK, the overall number of cases reported
  • in the area remains low, and containment measures are in place. There are, however, uncertainties regarding transmissibility and under-detection,
  • particularly among mild or asymptomatic cases.
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/current-risk-assessment-novel-coronavirus-situation

COVID-19 is a name for the disease, not for the virus that causes it, which until now had a temporary moniker, 2019-nCoV, signifying it was a novel coronavirus that emerged last year. But the pathogen also got a new designation, which arrived before Tedros had even finished his press conference, by way of a preprint posted on bioRxiv by the body charged with classifying and naming viruses. The Coronavirus Study Group (CSG) of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses, the paper noted, had decided that the virus is a variant of the coronavirus that caused an outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in 2002–03. So, it named the new pathogen severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus 2, or SARS-CoV-2.

Last edited:
I have not changed my habits. Work has been intense though. The nurses/staff have been involved in many meetings/phone conferences with the state health Department.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
I think that the best habit one can have is eating as healthily (is that a word?) as possible so as to give the body the best chance of staying well. It will also serve us well to avoid all types of flus and colds and other diseases and give us the strength to fight it off. My honey had a case of the sniffles the other day and he immediately took in as many extra berries and vitamin C drinks etc and it was gone in a day. Fake chicken noodle soup helped, if even in a placebo way, and a neocitran when going to bed relieved his symptoms enough that he was able to sleep properly and gain strength that way.

Hand washing and not touching door handles is also important too, of course.

The masses that eat animal products of all kinds, IMO, are more susceptible to all illnesses because their immune systems are having deal with all the unhealthy aspects of the animal foods. TMAO is compromises the gut health which affects the heart and other organs.

Emma JC

I work with used mri components. Keeping hands off your face is biggest prevention.
I do try and avoid crowds, and of course washing hands. I'm no more concerned about this virus as any other.
I got the flu two years ago along with 95% of my company. Fever, aches, general malaise- I was off work 4 days with a weekend in between. Went to urgent care for breathing treatment (asmtha). It was horrible!

I don't have a TV, and I don't watch the news. I cannot stand TV nor the news, nor all the adverts. I got rid of my cable subscription almost 10 yrs ago and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. As for this issue, I have not changed a thing. I eat healthy, and I wash my hands a lot, especially when I'm work, touching lots of doorknobs. Honestly, my advise is to turn off the TV, eat an apple, and get outside for some sunshine (if you have it) and fresh air. And keep your hands clean and try to avoid touching your face - especially near your eyes and nose.

I haven't changed my habits. I've always been a hand-washer, and I avoid touching doorknobs and handles in public places. I have noticed a few people in my area wearing masks, especially on public transportation.

• Informative
Reactions: Lou and shyvas
I haven't changed my habits. I've always been a hand-washer, and I avoid touching doorknobs and handles in public places. I have noticed a few people in my area wearing masks, especially on public transportation.
The mask thing is not a terrible idea, IMO. I actually might consider wearing one the next time I'm on a plane or something like that. I've never worn one when I'm sick, as I'm one of those people who just stays home when I'm sick. I have always wondered how people do it, though, if you are sick, how do you deal with wearing a mask when your nose is running like a faucet? Stick tissues up your nostrils, maybe, since no one will see it... ?

• Agree
The mask thing is not a terrible idea, IMO. I actually might consider wearing one the next time I'm on a plane or something like that. I've never worn one when I'm sick, as I'm one of those people who just stays home when I'm sick. I have always wondered how people do it, though, if you are sick, how do you deal with wearing a mask when your nose is running like a faucet? Stick tissues up your nostrils, maybe, since no one will see it... ?
I agree. Especially on planes. At least with the bus, they open the door, which lets in some fresher air. Planes are just awful in that regard, recirculating all that stale air. I try to stay home when I'm sick, but when I worked in an office, it was hard to do that. The culture was of a workaholic nature. I never saw the advantage of coming to work when sick because you just get everyone else sick. I used to think the same of people who came to work hacking and gagging. Why didn't you just stay home instead of infecting us all?! :-D

• Friendly
The mask thing is not a terrible idea, IMO. I actually might consider wearing one the next time I'm on a plane or something like that. I've never worn one when I'm sick, as I'm one of those people who just stays home when I'm sick. I have always wondered how people do it, though, if you are sick, how do you deal with

Totally agree and I wonder whether the people that are wearing the mask are ill or just using them as a prevention.

I agree. Especially on planes. At least with the bus, they open the door, which lets in some fresher air. Planes are just awful in that regard, recirculating all that stale air. I try to stay home when I'm sick, but when I worked in an office, it was hard to do that. The culture was of a workaholic nature. I never saw the advantage of coming to work when sick because you just get everyone else sick. I used to think the same of people who came to work hacking and gagging. Why didn't you just stay home instead of infecting us all?! :-D

I think that modern planes have a system where the air is filtered and not reused when recirculating. The only thing is the passengers are on top of each other and everyone uses the few (often not clean) toilets on board.

It was the same thing at my former workplace ; everyone had to come in despite being ill.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
This is interesting, as scientists in Greece have studied the virus's DNA and conclude that it may have originated in bats.

Talking about proportion we mean that it reaches the level of 96%; that is, the possible source of infection is this particular animal, i.e. bats. Of course,we cannot rule out the fact that the infection can be made by another animal, another carrier, another mammal which has been infected by bats and this, in turn, transferred it to humans.

This will be hard to find because we have to find the particular animal and locate the truth, the part of the virus which caused the infection. But, on the other hand, it is not of a particular importance either for epidemiology or for research in the creation of vaccines or antivirus drugs.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC