Cool vegan stuff in America...

IamJen

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
America....**** yeah! Heh

So, we're coming to the US next month for our first trip in over a year. Tell me about what sort of vegan "stuff" I should look for at my local HFS, Trader Joe's etc.

I'm not sure what country you live in so I'm not sure if you've got these products or not but I'll suggest them.

Daiya shreds and wedges of course. The shreds are great for sprinkling over lasagne, enchiladas, using in quesadillas, burritos, etc. The wedges can be spread on crackers and eaten up just like that and they are amazing. I've never liked any vegan cheese before unless it was cooked, if it was uncooked it tasted horrible, but these wedges are freakin amazing. I have also cubed some up and tossed into a tofu scramble at the end and they melt super creamy and is really good too. I thinly sliced one once and put over enchiladas to melt while they were baking and they didn't spread out so I wasn't too impressed with it that way. Tasted good but looked funny.

We Can't Say It's Not Cheese by Wayfare. They are dips and spreads and are really super good. I always gets the mexi-cheddar one and eat it with tortilla chips. http://www.wayfarefoods.com/content/products

Sin Dawg by Dave's Killer Bread. It is this amazing cinnamon roll like loaf that's super dense and super delicious! http://www.daveskillerbread.com/killer-bread/sin-dawg.html

Justin's peanut butter cups. Way better ingredients than the reese's brand and of course vegan. I only find them in health food stores in my area.

Field Roast grain meats like their sausages, meatloaf and celebration loaf. Delicious! It's easy to find in my area but they are made about an hour away from me. It seems like they can be harder to find in other parts of the country. But definitely look for them The apple sage sausages are my favorite and I really like the meatloaf.

I've been addicted to TJ's raw crunchy unsalted almond butter lately. I just need to eat in small doses as nuts are not always my best friend. Another thing I just found there last week are these flattened out pretzels. It looks like they took a rolling pin to pretzels then baked them. They are yummy.

i have the same problem with the peanut butter cups. and those vegan mars and snickers bar-type ones with the weird names that are to do with pirates and the like... whataretheycalled....

Snickers -> Jokerz
Three Musketeer -> Buckaneer
Milky Way -> Twilight
Almond Joy -> Mahalo

http://www.gomaxgofoods.com/index.htm

that's the ones. i think what confuses me is that those chocolate bars from back in the day when i ate them in the uk would be

Marathon = Snickers -> Jokerz
UK Milky Way = Three Musketeer -> Buckaneer
UK Mars Bar = US Milky Way -> Twilight
Bounty (which is like a US 'Mounds'- no almonds) Almond Joy -> Mahalo

regardless of that: omg are they good. :p

camino has peanut butter cup type chocolate in a bar form too- dunno if you get that in the usa or the uk though?

Those candy bars are delicious! I forgot about them because I can't find them anywhere in my city. The vegan store in Seattle carries them though and I always get one when I go there. The Jokerz one is my fav.

I have not heard of Justin's peanut butter cups. Want!

I was not impressed by them. Maybe it's because I am too used to Resse's PB cups. I expected the thick, grainy kind of peanut butter inside, but Jason's has smooth peanut butter. Also, there was too much chocolate for the amount of peanut butter. Lastly, the price: $2 for 2 cups. Quite expensive.

You should check out some vegan gummi candies. Surf Sweets has some of the best flavored ones that taste more like real fruit than artificial flavorings.

I just bought a box of Jovial Crispy Cocoa cookies. They claim it's made with one of the oldest wheats that were before agricultural cross breeding was done. They aren't very sweet and the cocoa flavor is mild. But there's something addicting about them. It's how crispy they are. I haven't had cookies with this texture before. Very interesting. Now if only they would throw in a bit more cocoa powder...

If you haven't tried Daiya yet, this will be a great opportunity. Of course, you can get Daiya by itself, but now Tofurky has pizzas, Amy's has a mac-n-cheese and a couple pizzas and some restaurants offer Daiya as an option (check out Brixx and Mellow Mushroom).

Mambas are like Starburst and are one of my favorite convenience story candies. 7-11 convenience stores has a few vegan items sold under their own name brand. Off the top of my head, I know they have peanut butter fudge cookies, mint fudge cookies, a Doritos-style corn chip and apple danishes. Speaking of Doritos, they have a chili lime flavor that is vegan.

Back To Nature has a couple vegan friendly cookies. Most notably, the Chocolate Chunk and the Madagascar Vanilla Wafers. Both are incredible.

That's all I can think of right now. I'll keep thinking...

I was not impressed by them. Maybe it's because I am too used to Resse's PB cups. I expected the thick, grainy kind of peanut butter inside, but Jason's has smooth peanut butter. Also, there was too much chocolate for the amount of peanut butter. Lastly, the price: $2 for 2 cups. Quite expensive.

I would like the smooth peanut butter, I think. The price is a bit off putting though.

Heh. Not really cattle country, but more importantly, Midwest is home to many friends/family. Chicago is super vegan friendly for the most part. Even Grand Rapids (MI) is making strides, which I find amazing for Jesus-conservative land. IS is going to be out East for a few days though.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I had a response typed out yesterday but I think it got waylaid during babycaring time

The Midwest is corn and soybean country, not cattle country. Fertile soil and flat land = large scale, mechanized, crop production as the most profitable venture.

My favorites: the hazelnut cutlets from the WF deli section, the Match *pork* from the WF frozen food section. Coconut ice cream from TJ's.

The Midwest is corn and soybean country, not cattle country. Fertile soil and flat land = large scale, mechanized, crop production as the most profitable venture.

My favorites: the hazelnut cutlets from the WF deli section, the Match *pork* from the WF frozen food section. Coconut ice cream from TJ's.

There are plenty of cattle in the Midwest. Which states do you consider MW..pretty big place.

http://www.cattlerange.com/cattle-graphs/all-cattle-numbers.html

There are plenty of cattle in the Midwest. Which states do you consider MW..pretty big place.

http://www.cattlerange.com/cattle-graphs/all-cattle-numbers.html

I know it's a pretty big place - I've spent my life here, except for the first five years and three years on the East coast.

Midwest: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin

If I remember correctly, Illinois and Indiana have the lowest percentages of uncultivated land in the U.S. I'd be surprised if any of the Midwestern states have a higher percentage of land given over to cattles than to crops, with the possible exception of the Dakotas. Even Kansas has more acres devoted to grain crops than to cattle.