Cooking with Hummus

GingerFoxx

No effin' whey!
Reaction score
So I bought a 1lb tub of roasted garlic hummus a while ago and I have not opened it, because I know doing so will commit me to eating a LOT of hummus in order to get through it before it goes bad. Now it is approaching its expiration date. Are there any casserole or similar recipes I could use a large quantity of hummus in, so I don't end up throwing it away, or making myself sick trying to eat it all in time with veggies?

I like humus on bread, pita bread, with veggies, on the side with pasta and rice, and as a dip for fries or roasted potatoes / other root veggies. But warm hummus? I have a strong suspicion that wouldn't appeal to my taste buds!

I like humus on bread, pita bread, with veggies, on the side with pasta and rice, and as a dip for fries or roasted potatoes / other root veggies. But warm hummus? I have a strong suspicion that wouldn't appeal to my taste buds!
Well I figure if it is baked in a casserole, the dip-like qualities of it will be less evident, and it would be more like re-fried beans, maybe? I just don't know what to combine it with. I have used it as a sauce alternative on pizza before, and mixed in with pasta, but I have a much larger volume of hummus than would be practical for such an application. Maybe it could be baked into some kind of bread product where the end result could be enjoyed at room temperature, not hot?

Well I figure if it is baked in a casserole, the dip-like qualities of it will be less evident, and it would be more like re-fried beans, maybe? I just don't know what to combine it with. I have used it as a sauce alternative on pizza before, and mixed in with pasta, but I have a much larger volume of hummus than would be practical for such an application. Maybe it could be baked into some kind of bread product where the end result could be enjoyed at room temperature, not hot?

Hummus is just puréed chick peas. So you can use it in any way that you would do so with beans. Add it to vegetable soups, stews to thicken etc.

Agree on using it in soups and stews. I also use it with pasta as it makes a nice alfredo alternative. I bet you could use it in a tofu scramble or even throw a little in a tofu quiche.

Makes an awesome salad dressing but how much salad can one person eat in a short amount of time, lol.

Reactions: Naturebound1
I wonder if you could bake it into muffins or cookies. I've done this with a sweet potato/chickpea mix. It might be an alternative to peanut butter.

I've done all the tradition things others have mentioned...pizza sauce, in pastas, in sandwiches/pitas, as a dip for veggies, on toast. I'll bet it might work for lasagna too. Or stuffed into manicotti shells. personally I can eat an ungodly amount of hummus all by itself lol.

Reactions: ledboots
I wonder if you could bake it into muffins or cookies. I've done this with a sweet potato/chickpea mix. It might be an alternative to peanut butter.

I've done all the tradition things others have mentioned...pizza sauce, in pastas, in sandwiches/pitas, as a dip for veggies, on toast. I'll bet it might work for lasagna too. Or stuffed into manicotti shells. personally I can eat an ungodly amount of hummus all by itself lol.
Me, too, on eating ungodly amounts of hummus. And it doesn't always need a veggie or a chip with it. I can eat just with a spoon.

I have baked it inside of big falafel balls, comes out great.