Cooking Hazards

Mr Crunchy

Forum Legend
Reaction score
So, I burned my eye this morning while cooking. I was frying some hash brown potatoes and was scraping the pan with a spatula when a piece of potato flew up in the air and landed in the corner of my left eye. It had hot oil on it so it continued to burn after I got the potato out. I can see all right and there doesn't seem to be permanent damage (but still hurts like heck).

I'm wondering if I should wear safety glasses while cooking, or at least while frying? Or was it a random, freak accident and, like lightning strikes, will never happen again? Anyone else worried about this or take precautions?

I wear glasses anyway..
Some oil spit on my head a few years ago, and made a small bad burn.

So, I burned my eye this morning while cooking. I was frying some hash brown potatoes and was scraping the pan with a spatula when a piece of potato flew up in the air and landed in the corner of my left eye. It had hot oil on it so it continued to burn after I got the potato out. I can see all right and there doesn't seem to be permanent damage (but still hurts like heck).

I'm wondering if I should wear safety glasses while cooking, or at least while frying? Or was it a random, freak accident and, like lightning strikes, will never happen again? Anyone else worried about this or take precautions?
I hope you're feeling okay! I don't think you need safety glasses, maybe less oil or lower heat.

For the future, for anything in the eye, rinse under running water in the sink for 15 minutes.

Reactions: Tom L.
Always liberaly coat any exposed skin with cold oil before cooking.

That way any hot oil that splashes onto you will just run off.

Personaly I just take a cold oil bath. That's the safest way to cook in the nude.

Personaly I just take a cold oil bath. That's the safest way to cook in the nude.

:eek:

I bought a pair of cheapo safety glasses on my way home last night and used them while cooking spaghetti (more hazards with a big pot of vigorously boiling water). Worked fine.

I used to wear glasses but now wear contact lenses, so I guess that's why I never thought of this before. I'm a pretty aggressive cook; things tend to fly about the kitchen and when I'm done it looks like the pantry exploded. A hazmat suit would not be inappropriate. :cool:

Reactions: ledboots