cooking chick peas

zki

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Soaked them overnite - they've been cooking 2 hours, still not soft. Yeah, they were in cupboard over a year but in tightly sealed glass jar. Should I give up after 3 hours?

Are they boiling? you need to boil them well and then continue to simmer. Maybe add some baking soda to the water?

Good luck with it, I tried once to cook chick peas and I won't try again. I also tried to cook whole peas once (still have part of a bag) and couldn't get them to soften.

Canned chick peas rock!

Emma JC

I boiled them at first - now have them simmering for over 2 hours. I prefer canned ones too - taste great / no fuss however they have too much salt and the lo salt ones are pricey (to me.)

Reactions: Emma JC
I say throw in some baking soda (google it) and keep cooking them. It would be a shame to waste them, however, I would not recommend eating until/if they get soft.

Emma JC

If they're not soft enough to use as they are make falafel! I like it with chickpea that have just soaked a couple days, then ground, but if they're not fully cooked they're fine. Just put in a food processor with seasoning, and just enough flour to bind, and some lemon juice. Make balls or patties and fry or bake
A pressure cooker is the best thing for dry beans. I love my Instant Pot