Cooking and baking gripe thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SummerRain

I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Reaction score
Have you burnt a spounge? Did it sink in the middle? Have you killed the yeast in your bread? Ice your cake too early and it dripped down the sides? Does your pastry have a soggy bottom? Did you confuse sugar and salt again?

Then come here and moan, cry and - most importantly - commiserate with each other over it.

Today I wanted to make banana chips, I read the recipe that told me to put the banana slices in the oven at 200 degrees for 3 hours. Being from the UK, I assumed it meant Celsius, and I burnt three bananas to high heaven and now have the fun of cleaning it all off. :mad: Units are important!

But surely you wouldn't have set the oven at 200 degrees Celsius? Don't ovens in the UK have different settings anyway? :???:

Anyway :hug: Sorry that happened to you.

:confused: I did, I did it at 200c and it should have been 93c :( I've never made them before, I didn't realise it should have been a low heat. The settings are in C (or gas mark if you're oven is gas).

Have you burnt a spounge? Did it sink in the middle? Have you killed the yeast in your bread? Ice your cake too early and it dripped down the sides? Does your pastry have a soggy bottom? Did you confuse sugar and salt again?

Then come here and moan, cry and - most importantly - commiserate with each other over it.

Today I wanted to make banana chips, I read the recipe that told me to put the banana slices in the oven at 200 degrees for 3 hours. Being from the UK, I assumed it meant Celsius, and I burnt three bananas to high heaven and now have the fun of cleaning it all off. :mad: Units are important!

This is what dogs are for... dispose of one's mistakes. :p

Reactions: SummerRain
make smaller pancakes/get a bigger spatula and before you flip make sure the edges are starting to get a little dry.

And make sure they are bubbling in the middle before you flip them.

I always screw up baking recipes by trying to make too many substitutions. Sometimes things have come out way better than expected when I substitute different ingredients, but other times it's downright disasterous . :fp:

Status
Not open for further replies.