Cookie substitute for one egg

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hey!

I've found a choc chip cookie mix which appears to be accidentally vegan and requires 1 medium egg. I have found lots of options for egg substitutes and was wondering what everyone recommends for this specific sort recipe.

Many thanks xxx

I'd use a cup of soy milk with a teaspoon of cider vinegar in. Whisk the vinegar in, leave it to stand for 10 minutes or so, pour it in.

You could also use a mashed up banana or a little canola/rapeseed oil

For chewy cookies, I like to use a "flax egg". Sometimes I even add a teaspoon of EnerG egg replacer to the flax seed mix.

Now I want chocolate chip cookies.

For chewy cookies, I like to use a "flax egg". Sometimes I even add a teaspoon of EnerG egg replacer to the flax seed mix.

Now I want chocolate chip cookies.

I also use energ egg replacer as my go-to egg sub. It was good enough for my mother, it's good enough for me. :p I've used flax eggs before, but sometimes I can taste the flax in the finished product, so I only use those in cookies with other strong flavors.

Reactions: sallyomally
Is ener-G egg replacer something that can be purchased on the high street in the UK? Xxx

I've never seen the product in one of our supermarkets. You can buy it on-line but it is very pricey. It is made out of potato starch and tapioca flour.

I buy mine in the US at Sprouts.

I dont know how much this will help but when I made (from scratch) vegan cookies I used oil and soy milk as a binder.
I think you can get egg replacer at Holland and Barett but its very pricey and seems chemically to me.

I can send you the recipe for the cookies I have if you like. They are chocolate not plain but I added choc chips to them to make them double choc chip ;)

I dont know how much this will help but when I made (from scratch) vegan cookies I used oil and soy milk as a binder.
I think you can get egg replacer at Holland and Barett but its very pricey and seems chemically to me.

I can send you the recipe for the cookies I have if you like. They are chocolate not plain but I added choc chips to them to make them double choc chip ;)

Yes please :) thanks xxx

http://www.suburbanyogini.com/2010/04/11/vegan-chocolate-thumbprint-cookies/

I did make them like in the recipe and they were nice...however I have also made them without putting a thumbprint and jam in and just added a handful or two of roughly chopped chocolate and they turned out lovely. Also you can use any milk you like. I even used some chocolate soy milk I had open as I had run out of plain milk...lol. For the sugar use whatever you like...I used soft dark brown sugar(again all I had in the cupboard)

My boyfriend (M as I post often about him) is an Omni he took them to work (all Omnis) and they were begging for more!

I found this:

http://www.food.com/recipe/flax-vegan-egg-substitute-104832

Except it suggest boiling the water, which I've never done, and my baked goods come out just fine. So it's an unnecessary step, in my opinion.

:yes:

http://www.suburbanyogini.com/2010/04/11/vegan-chocolate-thumbprint-cookies/

I did make them like in the recipe and they were nice...however I have also made them without putting a thumbprint and jam in and just added a handful or two of roughly chopped chocolate and they turned out lovely. Also you can use any milk you like. I even used some chocolate soy milk I had open as I had run out of plain milk...lol. For the sugar use whatever you like...I used soft dark brown sugar(again all I had in the cupboard)

My boyfriend (M as I post often about him) is an Omni he took them to work (all Omnis) and they were begging for more!

These look awesome...I love cookies/jam but never tried it with chocolate cookies, only a vanilla/butter like cookie. I like the idea of making these using chopped chocolate or chocolate chips. I'm going to try them! :lick:

A little? Like so I have as much as if I had an egg? Or do you just add until you have the right consistency? Xxx

I just mix 1 Tbl ground flaxsed with 3 Tbl warm water per egg needing replacement. I've also used non-dairy milk in place of the water when making french toast and it worked fine.