Computer-Related Abbreviations, Acronyms, etc.

Joe

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I can't keep up with all these abbreviations and acronyms.

Ran Malwarebytes and it found dozens of PUPs on my computer.

I keep forgetting what a PUP is and keep having to look it up.

PUP
Acronym for potentially unwanted program

PUP or PUPs is a term used to describe unwanted programs such as Trojans, spyware and adware, along with other malware which may compromise your privacy. Some antivirus and PC security software packages, like McAfee VirusScan, will scan for and protect your system against PUPs.​

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PUP.html

The only thing I'd quarrel with is potentially unwanted program. Who would want something like this on his/her computer?

I agree. I've tried to convince Norton to catch pups, but they only want to focus on true viruses. So I use malwarebytes in conjuction with a Nortonn.

I hate pups and the way they try to sneak on to your pc. I noticed that they attached themselves to a few programs I thought were legit.

I agree. I've tried to convince Norton to catch pups, but they only want to focus on true viruses. So I use malwarebytes in conjuction with a Nortonn.

I too use Norton, mainly because it came with my laptop and it was edaqsier to renew it than have to rip it out to install something else.

I did not realize that Norton deliberately allows PUPs. Thanks for cluing me in. I'll be running Malwarebytes more often.

Here's my request for PUP detection. It also has links to other people requesting the feature.
http://community.norton.com/t5/Product-Suggestions/Feature-Request-Identify-PUPs/m-p/1055891#M3784
Thanks for that citation.

I ran Malwarebytes in Full Scan mode and it found three files infected with Trojan.Zbot.RRE , whatever that is. I am not happy that Norton failed to detect this.

BTW, I use the "manual" version of Malwarebytes (no "real time" protection) precisely to avoid a conflict with Norton.

Thanks for that citation.

I ran Malwarebytes in Full Scan mode and it found three files infected with Trojan.Zbot.RRE , whatever that is. I am not happy that Norton failed to detect this.

BTW, I use the "manual" version of Malwarebytes (no "real time" protection) precisely to avoid a conflict with Norton.

Here's some info on it.
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2010-011016-3514-99

You should start a thread about it, and let Norton know.

Yea, funny you should mention that because a while ago, I found out the hard way that Norton and MWB real time protections don't play nice togther. :fp:

I called MWB, and they had me try all sorts of config changes..none which worked. So, I just use it as an on demand scanner.

VPN = virtual private network. A way to connect to the Internet through a server so, to the web pages you visit, your IP address will appear to be that of the server, instead of the IP address your ISP has assigned to you. Also used to connect to the intranet i.e. the internal network of workplaces from home (or elsewhere), so that to the workplace intranet you appear to have an IP address on that internal network, and so therefore it will allow you to connect and access the intranet web pages and other resources on that internal network.