Vegan Colcannon

Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Has anyone here ever made colcannon? it is an Irish recipe of mashed potatoes and cabbage and then various other items are added to taste.

I googled various vegan recipes and am going to make it tonight. Here is what I think I will put in:

4 cups chopped potatoes
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion chopped (many recipes suggest leeks but I don't have any)
1 Tablespoon vegan butter (most recipes suggested more however I will add water instead for the sauteing)
4 cups chopped green cabbage (savoy tonight as that is what I have)
1 cup chopped vegan sausage (haven't decided if I will add this or not tonight as all the ones I have are frozen)
1 teaspoon Bragg Liquid Aminos (or tamari)
1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
4 Tablespoon unsweetened almond milk, warmed
3 sprigs thyme, leaves leaves only or dry chives and / or c

Sea salt & black pepper to taste

Let me know if you've had it, if you liked it, if you've made it and if you have any other tasty additions?

Emma JC

Reactions: Forest Nymph
btw - I heard about it because I read it in one of Nora Roberts' books - the Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy - Irish witches and wolves and time travel, oh my!

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
It was delicious and satisfying and made my innards even happier than they already are.

Instead of breaking up a sausage and putting it in, I just did one Field Roast Italian each on the side so we could top with mustard. There is a line of capers down the middle of the colcannon in the pic.

Pretty simple to make. Cut up the potatoes and the cabbage in the afternoon and then when ready to cook put chopped onion and garlic in a large heavy bottom fry pan with about a tablespoon of vegan butter and sauted until soft. Then added the chopped savoy cabbege on top and added about a half a cup of water, put the lid on and stirred occasionally until the cabbage was very soft. Meanwhile the potatoes were boiling and when done, drained and then roughly mashed them so there was still some body to them. I had put out the almond milk to warm up to room temp and put the dried chives in there to rehydrate. On top of the mash I put the pepper, nutritional yeast, some garlic powder and then poured the cabbage mixture on top and then the milk/chives on top of that and mixed it altogether. (I would use different almond milk in the future as it seems it was vanilla flavoured although the box said otherwise, the smell of vanilla was prevalent and I was disappointed by that, it is a brand I don't normally buy and won't buy again)

My honey loved it also and the best part was he didn't crave something else to eat after we were done. To large dates for desert.

Emma JC

Attachments

• colcannon.png
    colcannon.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 2
We have some leftover and I am going to make them into pancake/burger shapes and crisp them up in the oven later.

Emma JC

So my honey is working from home today and we were just discussing how best to use the leftovers and I suggested that we add a falafel mix to them, and make balls and bake them. He suggested put a couple of capers in the center of each and I also thought of adding a few shreds of cheeze in the center as well. Then make up a roasted garlic / hemp sauce for dipping them into. mmmmm can't wait for supper now.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
The falafel mix that I show above is a very handy item to have around. I do not follow the instructions to fry them in oil, instead I just bake them in the oven and they turn out amazing. Even better than what you can buy at a place that sells them. My honey sometimes has them for lunch in his food court and always say those are more like hockey pucks.

If I wasn't so lazy I would make them, more often, from roasted chick peas but this is simpler. Just not as "whole" a food.

Emma JC

Is this also called Bubble and Squeak? I feel like I made it when I was a vegetarian with butter and left over mashed potatoes. So you can put any left overs in it, like peas or Tofurky instead of veggie sausage.

Reactions: Emma JC
The falafel mix that I show above is a very handy item to have around. I do not follow the instructions to fry them in oil, instead I just bake them in the oven and they turn out amazing. Even better than what you can buy at a place that sells them. My honey sometimes has them for lunch in his food court and always say those are more like hockey pucks.

If I wasn't so lazy I would make them, more often, from roasted chick peas but this is simpler. Just not as "whole" a food.

Emma JC

Consider chopping up fresh cilantro and parsley in the food processor to add to the mix with a little lemon juice. Maybe you already do that but a lot can be done with a falafel mix.

Reactions: Emma JC
I usually make it by keeping it very simple as it doesn't need any extra ingredients ; 👍
Fresh mashed potatoes, buttered (plant based), lightly seasoned and blended with Savoy cabbage (or kale) and onion.
Any leftovers indeed make bubble & squeak which are also very tasty and make a savvy dish.

I either serve it on it's own or with Cumberland style bangers.:heart_eyes:

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Is this also called Bubble and Squeak? I feel like I made it when I was a vegetarian with butter and left over mashed potatoes. So you can put any left overs in it, like peas or Tofurky instead of veggie sausage.

It is somewhat similar to Bubble and Squeak with less frying involved and as Shyvas had said above, colcannon leftovers can be turned into B&S.

Fresh cilantro is a great idea, and I did use some in the pico that I made for tacos but forgot about it with the Falafel Colcannon Balls. I just had the last of the leftover of those as part of my breakfast this morning and they were so good.

Cooked potatoes or sweet potatoes are one of those amazing foods that can be combined with almost anything else and come out great. I do find I can eat slower if the potatoes are in the form of a ball or burger shape as when they are in their mashed form, even with cabbage added, I tend to eat it quickly and then reach for more. That's why we left the sausage whole, as opposed to broken up within the Colcannon, as it took longer to eat.

Emma JC