UK Coca Cola - Buys Costa Coffee

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other

Coca-Cola is to buy the Costa coffee chain from owner Whitbread in a deal worth £3.9bn.

Whitbread had intended to spin off the chain as a separate firm, but said a straight sale was more profitable.

Chief executive Alison Brittain said Whitbread would now focus on its Premier Inn business in the UK and Germany.

Whitbread bought Costa, which is now the UK's biggest coffee chain, for just £19m in 1995.

At the time, it had just 39 outlets. It now has more than 2,400 UK coffee shops, as well as some 1,400 outlets in 31 overseas markets. Costa Express has 8,237 vending machines worldwide.

Whitbread shares were up 16% in Friday afternoon trading.

Speaking on the BBC's Today programme, Ms Brittain explained that Coca-Cola wanted to buy Costa because "they want the coffee product, they have no coffee in their range".

She said the money from the sale would be used to expand the Premier Inn chain, return some cash to shareholders, pay down debt and boost the pension fund.

Last edited:
Starbucks has ready to drink coffees but they don’t have decaf so I can never try them. :(

Starbucks has ready to drink coffees but they don’t have decaf so I can never try them. :(
what decaf do you buy? I mean ground coffee to make yourself?
Ever do a cold brew decaf? I would think it would be the same :???:

what decaf do you buy? I mean ground coffee to make yourself?
Ever do a cold brew decaf? I would think it would be the same :???:
I can totally do it myself. I just had one today. :)
I like to whine, though, because I find it annoying that I can’t have certain things when I’m out, lol.

I can totally do it myself. I just had one today. :)
I like to whine, though, because I find it annoying that I can’t have certain things when I’m out, lol.
But what kind of decaf do you buy? My son wants to try decaf and I never liked it, but it could be a totally baseless opinion. Haven't had decaf in so long

But what kind of decaf do you buy? My son wants to try decaf and I never liked it, but it could be a totally baseless opinion. Haven't had decaf in so long
Oh, sorry. I like any espresso roast, Starbucks Sumatra or Peet’s Major Dickason. I mix the espresso with one of the other two and use a pour over. Makes the best coffee. A French press does a good job, too. The key, for me, is to make it really strong. A lot of people don’t like decaf and I think it’s because it’s not strong enough.