CNN is going to show Blackfish - 10/24/13

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This should reach a huge amount of people, I'm so excited. I hope this makes a difference for the whales.
Blackfish traces a 39-year history of killer whales in captivity leading up to the 2010 killing of Sea World trainer Dawn Brancheau by the 12,000-pound orca, Tilikum, a whale previously associated with the death of two other people. Blackfish chillingly shows that this incident of violence is hardly an isolated one, along the way exploring the extraordinary nature of orcas, thought to be one of the most intelligent species in the animal kingdom.
-- Watch the premiere of 'CNN Films: Blackfish' onThursday, October 24, at 9 p.m. ET

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/us/cnn-films-blackfish?sr=fb100813blackfish730p

Who watched? Thoughts?

Mine: All 'Sea Worlds' and their CEO's should be obliterated from the face of the earth. And Jack Hannah can kiss my *** too. (He was on a commentary program after the premiere.)

Last edited:
I learned that Sea World is even more evil than I originally thought.
It was encouraging to see so many people (not just animal activist) saying they would never bring their kids there, or go back themselves.

I watched it. Wow, to think humans would ever assume it was a good idea to jail multi-ton mammals and expect them to "perform" is completely insane. The separation of the calves from the mamas was heart-breaking. I'm ashamed of us.

I watched it and was in tears more than once. While I understand that Sea World does do some animal rehabilitation, there is no reason to have the performances other than to make money. And the obvious cover ups and lies are just appalling. I really lost it when they talked about separating the mamas and babies. So horribly cruel!! And Jack Hanna is an *******. Watching the live comments feed was encouraging as most people were saying their eyes were opened and they were shocked. Hopefully some good can come from the information in this film.

When I was a mod on VB I felt that I had to watch anything that was posted, so I guess I toughened up. Blackfish is sad, but not horrifying, IMHO, and I can easily recommend watching it. You meet some very interesting people in it, people who have been changed by their experiences, and it's the kind of film that makes you think ad strengthens your resolve.

I agree with Poppy that Blackfish is sad, but it's not graphic. I put off watching it because I figured I wasn't the intended audience- I'm already aware of some of the issues, and wouldn't visit Seaworld anyway. But I did learn a lot, and it strengthened my feelings and resolve.

I agree with Poppy that Blackfish is sad, but it's not graphic. I put off watching it because I figured I wasn't the intended audience- I'm already aware of some of the issues, and wouldn't visit Seaworld anyway. But I did learn a lot, and it strengthened my feelings and resolve.
I did the same thing.