Cleaning Products

MobiusX

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I need to know what vegan cleaning house products I can buy in stores like Walmart, Target, Kroger. I can't buy everything online. I am not rich. I already replaced my toothbrush and hand soap. I need to start replacing other products. The next which will make sense is house cleaning products. I need something similar to Windex and Dawn Soap. These are what I use to clean right now. I also need to know what I can buy instead of clorox and gain detergent also. I just need my clothes to smell good and washed good.

I need to know what vegan cleaning house products I can buy in stores like Walmart, Target, Kroger. I can't buy everything online. I am not rich. I already replaced my toothbrush and hand soap. I need to start replacing other products. The next which will make sense is house cleaning products. I need something similar to Windex and Dawn Soap. These are what I use to clean right now. I also need to know what I can buy instead of clorox and gain detergent also. I just need my clothes to smell good and washed good.

Hi MobiusX,

Do you live near a "Trader Joe's" market? They carry a range of Trader Joe's brand vegan cleaning products and personal care items. They are generally quite reasonably priced. They also carry the more expensive name brands.

1582055578399.png

Reactions: Lou
Hi MobiusX,

Do you live near a "Trader Joe's" market? They carry a range of Trader Joe's brand vegan cleaning products and personal care items. They are generally quite reasonably priced. They also carry the more expensive name brands.

View attachment 19796

No. I just went on their website. It's 1 hour and 10 minutes just to get there. That's 2 hours and 20 minutes in total... That's why I said Walmart, Target, Kroger, even Publix because those stores are in the same town I am in.

I am not going to make my own.

The article is not about making your own. There is a list of brands:
  • Bar Keepers Friend Powdered Household Cleaner
  • Biokleen Carpet and Rug Shampoo
  • Biokleen Oxygen Bleach Plus
  • Citra Solv Air Scense
  • Citra Solv Natural Cleaner & Degreaser
  • ECOS Furniture Polish + Cleaner
  • ECOS Liquid Laundry Detergent
  • Ecover Dishwasher Tablets
  • Method Dish Soap
  • Method Squirt + Mop Hard Floor Cleaner
  • Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Fabric Softener
  • Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Lavender Glass Cleaner
  • Seventh Generation All-Purpose Natural Cleaner
  • Seventh Generation Toilet Bowl Cleaner

No. I just went on their website. It's 1 hour and 10 minutes just to get there. That's 2 hours and 20 minutes in total... That's why I said Walmart, Target, Kroger, even Publix because those stores are in the same town I am in.

Hi MobiusX,

It looks like Kroger sells Seventh Generation brand dish soap: https://www.kroger.com/p/seventh-generation-free-clear-dish-liquid/0073291322733 . It is certified cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny, and it costs about the same as Dawn brand dish soap.

Kroger sells its own brand of bleach (essentially the same as Clorox): https://www.kroger.com/p/kroger-original-liquid-bleach/0001111081631 . Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) was invented in the 1700s - it wasn't developed with animal testing.

Walmart sells "Ecos" brand laundry detergent: https://www.walmart.com/ip/ECOS-Plu...-aaa-1705a86a17b9db&athancid=null&athena=true . It is also certified cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny: https://www.leapingbunny.org/content/earth-friendly-products

In my brief foray into "vegan cleaning products" and similar searches, some of the websites I'm coming across appear to be at least partially commercially motivated. For instance, a list of prohibited products are presented, sometimes without explanation or just on assumption, with a link to an alternate list of "vegan friendly" or "cruelty free" products. Notwithstanding there are almost definitely non-food products that either contain animal derivatives or were/are tested on animals, my suspicion is that more often than not this is a way for certain individuals to direct market attention to their own products for the $$ motive.

Can you tell me what's in Windex or Dawn soap of animal origin? I couldn't even find the ingredients for Dawn Soap.

Most cleaning products are some sort of solvent or solvents, with fragrance added. Water is a solvent (a slow one). Vinegar is too. So is alcohol. They all can be used to clean, depending on how much time one is willing to spend. For instance, using a strong alcohol solution can get the job done quick, but letting something soak in water over time often does just as good a job.

I notice that you list as Vegetarian. The first (and only imo) required step in becoming a Vegan is to ditch the animal products (eggs and dairy are common in Vegetarians) out of your diet. Then one can proceed the path of elimination as one's conscience dictates for non-diet related products.

Hi MobiusX,

It looks like Kroger sells Seventh Generation brand dish soap: https://www.kroger.com/p/seventh-generation-free-clear-dish-liquid/0073291322733 . It is certified cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny, and it costs about the same as Dawn brand dish soap.

Kroger sells its own brand of bleach (essentially the same as Clorox): https://www.kroger.com/p/kroger-original-liquid-bleach/0001111081631 . Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) was invented in the 1700s - it wasn't developed with animal testing.

Walmart sells "Ecos" brand laundry detergent: https://www.walmart.com/ip/ECOS-Plu...-aaa-1705a86a17b9db&athancid=null&athena=true . It is also certified cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny: https://www.leapingbunny.org/content/earth-friendly-products

Ecos laundry detergent isn't sold in my store. It's only online. The link to the bleach doesn't work. I will check out the kroger dish soap. What vegan products can I replace for windex and something to use to clean the bathroom?

Ecos laundry detergent isn't sold in my store. It's only online. The link to the bleach doesn't work. I will check out the kroger dish soap. What vegan products can I replace for windex and something to use to clean the bathroom?

Hi MobiusX,

For window cleaning, it's so cheap/fast/easy to make your own cleaner. No excuses! :cool:. Here are some recipes.
  • Mix two tablespoons of ammonia OR white vinegar with two quarts or warm water.
  • Mix one-half cup ammonia, one pint of 70 percent rubbing alcohol and one teaspoon of liquid dishwashing detergent. Add enough water to make one gallon liquid.
  • Mix one tablespoon liquid dishwashing detergent with one quart water.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Hi MobiusX,

For window cleaning, it's so cheap/fast/easy to make your own cleaner. No excuses! :cool:. Here are some recipes.
  • Mix two tablespoons of ammonia OR white vinegar with two quarts or warm water.
  • Mix one-half cup ammonia, one pint of 70 percent rubbing alcohol and one teaspoon of liquid dishwashing detergent. Add enough water to make one gallon liquid.
What I found really helps is adding some cornstarch to vinegar/water, and a few drops dish soap-- like a teaspoon cornstarch to a couple cups. I forgot about adding alcohol! I think it kinds buffs as you wipe.

Hi MobiusX,

Good for you. I am not going to make my own. It's either they sell it in stores or they don't.

Good for you. I am not going to make my own. It's either they sell it in stores or they don't.
Well of course they do, others have provided links, I was adding info!
Get Method, Seventh Generation, or the super expensive ones. I'm cheap and find DIY easy and works great

:cool:

C'mon, give it a try. It only takes 2 ingredients to make window cleaner. If I can make my own toilet paper from old Xerox copies dug up from the local toxic waste dump, then you can mix vinegar and water.

Walmart sells a generic brand of window cleaner - only $2 for a one quart bottle. Window cleaners are usually made from various combinations of water, ammonia, ethanol, vinegar, synthetically-produced detergents, and dyes. No recent animal testing is involved, as these ingredients have been used for 50+ years (in the case of the detergents), for hundreds of years (in the case of the ammonia), or for thousands of years (in the cases of ethanol and vinegar).

Last edited:

Again, what's in Windex, Dawn Soap and the Bleach you already buy that is of animal origin? Are you a vegetarian that eats eggs/dairy? If so, why ask about 'vegan' cleaning products? Are you trying to make being vegan extra difficult so to excuse dietary changes?

Again, what's in Windex, Dawn Soap and the Bleach you already buy that is of animal origin? Are you a vegetarian that eats eggs/dairy? If so, why ask about 'vegan' cleaning products? Are you trying to make being vegan extra difficult so to excuse dietary changes?
I thought it was more about animal testing, esp in the case of Windex--and bleach is just a horrid thing to use!
I use Dawn. I used to boycott all of Proctor Gamble, but Dawn is that good. Lasts a really long time. I had a bottle of clear, unscented, environmentally friendly stuff I swear spoiled before it was half used. Smelled like vomit!

I thought it was more about animal testing, esp in the case of Windex--and bleach is just a horrid thing to use!
I use Dawn. I used to boycott all of Proctor Gamble, but Dawn is that good. Lasts a really long time. I had a bottle of clear, unscented, environmentally friendly stuff I swear spoiled before it was half used. Smelled like vomit!

We should remember that nothing is 100.00 % vegan. Even salt (sodium chloride) - a common food ingredient - was tested on animals way back when. If you look at Section 11 of the sodium chloride Material Safety Data Sheet ( https://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/21105.htm ), you'll see that (way back when) animal testing was used to assess salt's oral toxicity, inhalation toxicity, eye irritation, and skin irritation.

Veganism is a lifestyle that minimizes suffering. It's not possible to eliminate suffering entirely.

We should remember that nothing is 100.00 % vegan. Even salt (sodium chloride) - a common food ingredient - was tested on animals way back when. If you look at Section 11 of the sodium chloride Material Safety Data Sheet ( https://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/21105.htm ), you'll see that (way back when) animal testing was used to assess salt's oral toxicity, inhalation toxicity, eye irritation, and skin irritation.

Veganism is a lifestyle that minimizes suffering. It's not possible to eliminate suffering entirely.
I'm far from purity! There are simply some things that stick in my craw more than others. I used to be more obsessive, but over the years I've become far more practical.
Nestle is a company I still boycott- and there cleverly disguised Sweet Earth vegan foods.
Everyone needs to have some kind of limits.

Did you know Suave is doing away with animal testing? Unilever brand. I'm very happy as it's affordable, and was a good product.

Reactions: David3

Perhaps it would be easier for you to look up their websites (stores that you mention) and also contact CS.

I just add a drop of washing up liquid to water to clean my windows. I never buy window cleaner and use a few drops of Dettol in water to clean surfaces and the tiles.