Civil Rights Icon’s Dick Gregory Vegetarian Cookbook

Blues

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian

For Gregory, who became a vegetarian in 1965, food and diet became inextricably linked to civil rights. “The philosophy of nonviolence, which I learned from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., during my involvement in the civil rights movement, was first responsible for my change in diet,” he writes in his book. “I felt the commandment ‘Thou shalt not kill’ applied to human beings not only in their dealings with each other—war, lynching, assassination, murder, and the like—but in their practice of killing animals for food or sport.”

He walked his talk .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lou
Dick Gregory was phenomenal!
I can't get that site though....
Is it this book?
1627419074794.png

For whatever reason we auto-edit (censor) Gregory's first name on this forum into ****. I was aware we edited swear words, but not this word in particular.

So I was able to find the article by going to Atlas Obscura and searching for "The Legacy of a Civil Rights Icon’s Vegetarian Cookbook".

Reactions: Blues
For whatever reason we auto-edit (censor) Gregory's first name on this forum into ****. I was aware we edited swear words, but not this word in particular.

So I was able to find the article by going to Atlas Obscura and searching for "The Legacy of a Civil Rights Icon’s Vegetarian Cookbook".

Thanks 😊

• Friendly
Reactions: Veganite
Dick Van Dyke was an actor in the 1964 film, "Mary Poppins".

OK, it blotted out "D*ck", but not "Dyke".