Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
250 ml dairy free vanilla ice cream
250 g vegan mincemeat
2 apples, peeled and chopped
2 tps vegan butter or olive oil
vanilla extract

Gently sautee the apples in the butter/oil until tender. Add some vanilla extract.
Add the mincemeat and heat gently until hot.
Place 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream into a bowl with the hot mincemeat/apple sauce.
Serve immediately.

Tip : Serves 2. This makes a delicious festive dessert for mincemeat lovers. It is lighter than a
traditionnal Christmas pudding and the sensation of a hot and cold pudding is magical.
You could also substitute the apples for pears.

• Wow
Reactions: Poppy and KLS52
A dish where the main ingredients are ice cream and mincemeat? Not that there is *anything wrong* with that, but that does sound like it would require a bit of an acquired taste! Just saying, as a non-Brit. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A dish where the main ingredients are ice cream and mince meat? Not that there is *anything wrong* with that, but that does sound like it would require a bit of an acquired taste! Just saying, as a non-Brit. :)

Warm mincemeat with either ice cream or cream is lovely. Have you ever tasted it ?o_O

^^^ Indian Summer, mince meat pies were something my family always had during the holidays. It's basically a pie filling made mostly of dried fruits (raisins, apples, and traditionally stuff like suet or dried beef), sugar, and very heavily spiced with cinnamon, cloves, I think allspice, maybe ginger... This was before my vegetarian days, although I might have had some before I learned that it actually contains meat- we just called them "mince pies". You can't taste the meat- it's really all about the fruit, sugar, and spices- so I don't know what the point of adding flesh is. I've had vegan mince pies since then and they're every bit as good as I remember our holiday pies being.

Anyhow. The stuff would go great with ice cream.

Reactions: shyvas
My mom made awesome mincemeat cookies. I didn't know about the meat in it.

Edit: looks like Robertson's and None Such are meat free. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom L.
A history of mincemeat | delicious. Magazine food articles & advice

Vegan - Mincemeat | Vegetarian and Vegan Forums @ Veggie Views

I remember having mince pies during the festive season when I was a tot and they never contained meat, only suet. Nowadays, most shop bought mincemeats contain vegan suet. I usually make my own mincemeat and add lots of extra ingredients such as pecans, almonds, cranberries, dried cherries etc.

I also make a mincemeat cake which always is a hit with friends. I think that I have put the recipe up in the given section.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
A dish where the main ingredients are ice cream and mincemeat ? Not that there is *anything wrong* with that, but that does sound like it would require a bit of an acquired taste! Just saying, as a non-Brit. :)

Mincemeat is made out of dried fruit, spices and sugar. Vegan - Mincemeat

I thought that Scandinavians also used lots of difference spices and dried fruit in their baking.

Reactions: Val
My mom made awesome mincemeat cookies. I didn't know about the meat in it.

Edit: looks like Robertson's and None Such are meat free. :)
I just looked up None such because that's the one I had in my cupboard for years and years! It still has beef.None Such® | Product Information
Robertsons sounds delicious, but it is a UK brand!http://www.robertsons.co.uk/our-products/mincemeat/I'm going to look next time I shop. I really don't feel like making it, dont' think I'd get it all

I just looked up None such because that's the one I had in my cupboard for years and years! It still has beef.None Such® | Product Information
Robertsons sounds delicious, but it is a UK brand!http://www.robertsons.co.uk/our-products/mincemeat/I'm going to look next time I shop. I really don't feel like making it, dont' think I'd get it all
I don’t remember where I might have seen that none such was meat free...I just googled again and it does, indeed, have beef. I had no idea, even when my mom was making the cookies. You would never know it. They just tasted like a spice cookie...more like a cookie bar with a sugar icing drizzle.

I want to try making meringue with AF again. I failed the first time. But someone posted on FB that she made these little mini lemon meringue tarts and they looked good. I love lemon meringue and miss it. I used to make it every year at thanksgiving and christmas. :(

I want to try making meringue with AF again. I failed the first time. But someone posted on FB that she made these little mini lemon meringue tarts and they looked good. I love lemon meringue and miss it. I used to make it every year at thanksgiving and christmas. :(

Does meringue using AF really taste and look like the real thing ? I'm not a meringue lover so don't miss it. On the other hand, I really miss using egg yolks in baking and cooking.;)

That’s because your side of the pond is way cooler than ours. ;)

I must agree. The UK manufacturers have some excellent ideas when it comes to changing ingredients due to food trends. ;)

I have been inspired by Waitrose list of ingredients as they use apricot puree, spices and lemon/orange extract. I always add either grated or cubed apple when making pies as it reduces the sweetness of the mincemeat.