Package Exchange Christmas Exchange Ideas

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hard to imagine, but in just about a month, we'll begin planning the Christmas exchange.
Some of our VVers have expressed interest in doing something different this year. Let's do some brainstorming. I had an idea to toss into the ring- I used to visit a board where there were two exchanges- one specifically homemade (crafts, canned goods, baked treats, and so forth) and another "everything and anything". Since some of us are amazing at making things and some not so much, how about two different exchanges? Your thoughts?

I like the idea of two types of exchange... One issue seems to be people not wanting to join in because they think they won't be able to spend enough/people going over the limit. If a low limit is set, there will always be people who go over it, so a handmade/craft one and a more 'shop bought' one would be good. Or even a lower limit and higher limit one. Could people participate in both? I'd probably want to do both!

I believe in the last exchange I pitched the idea of the handmade craft exchange. It could be something made by the member themselves, or something made by a relative/local artisan if they lack the skills personally. I agree there has to be a way to encourage people to adhere to the spending limit. I understand some people don't mind going overboard and spoiling their match, but it can make some of the other participants uncomfortable, as we don't all have the means to spend or purchase things throughout the year.

Thanks for your ideas, ladies. I like the idea of two exchanges as well.
Ginger, I remember your suggestion, and love the idea of handmade items,especially since we have some amazingly talented crafters here on VV!
Aery, of course you can do both! :)

I can't speak for the others, but I am on a VERY tight budget, and (being the queen of bargain and coupon shopping) most everything I purchase for my boxes are things that I spot on sale during the year. There are some amazing bargains out there, and it's much easier on the wallet to pick up things a little at a time as opposed making one big purchase.

I've never joined an online exchange because I'm so afraid my recipient won't like what I send them.... but I think the major selling point here is to send something unique and special that they couldn't normally get in their own neck of the woods. That would be the biggest draw for me. For instance, I'd love to receive a bottle of Heinz sauce from England, or a cool tea I can't get here, or even some nutritional yeast.

Reactions: sallyomally
I like any type of exchange (I have no self control when it comes to putting together gifts). As long as a crafty one I can buy the craft as I am not creative. But I am going to try a glass fusion class later this month. Who knows? Maybe I will find my calling. :p

Reactions: GingerFoxx
I've never joined an online exchange because I'm so afraid my recipient won't like what I send them.... but I think the major selling point here is to send something unique and special that they couldn't normally get in their own neck of the woods. That would be the biggest draw for me. For instance, I'd love to receive a bottle of Heinz sauce from England, or a cool tea I can't get here, or even some nutritional yeast.

We've yet to have an exchange where everyone was not pleased and happy with their gifts, so come on in- don't be shy! The reason for the exchange is to get to know each other and forge new friendships.
The purpose of the Q&A thread is to ask if there's something special you would like from the sender's area. I remember one exchange where I received a ton of spices directly from an Indian market and tea from Wales, and another where there was a bottle of incredible lime olive oil made exclusively in the sender's area.
AND.... I can easily find a sender from just about anywhere to fix you up with your heart's desire..:yes:

I don't think there are enough people on here(that will participate) for 2 exchanges!

Why don't you do a poll? Four options: participate in no exchanges, just handmade, just one like the previous exchanges, or both. We can see what would get the most participants.

I remember one exchange where I received a ton of spices directly from an Indian market and tea from Wales, and another where there was a bottle of incredible lime olive oil made exclusively in the sender's area

This section of your post reminded me how much I miss Arizona and the awesome olive mill that was 5 minutes from our house. :(

If it's not too hard to coordinate, would it be possible to do one exchange and when the person signs up they can specify if they want to send/receive "handmade" or "everything and anything"?

So, for instance, I can say I would like to receive handmade but would prefer to send everything and anything because I'm not crafty. Then I could be matched with someone who is crafty and I can send to someone who prefers the standard box of goodies and not homemade.:dizzy: Now that I'm actually putting this in writing, I can see why it might be too complicated...maybe after my second cup of coffee...

Reactions: SummerRain
The problem with just doing a handmade one is the people who aren't crafty (like me; I can barely draw a stick figure) won't be able to participate because we can't make anything. That doesn't seem very fair. And I don't think everybody has the time or the facilities or the ability to bake/can/whatever.

But if I'm the only person who is complete inept at doing anything by hand then I'll stop doing the exchanges.

EDIT:

I know the parcel I sent looked like it had a lot of stuff in it, and there was more than £9 worth of stuff in there but I didn't spend more than that because of student discounts and loyalty card points. If the money limit had to be very strict so other people don't feel bad does that mean we aren't allowed to use things like that?

The problem with just doing a handmade one is the people who aren't crafty (like me; I can barely draw a stick figure) won't be able to participate because we can't make anything. That doesn't seem very fair. And I don't think everybody has the time or the facilities or the ability to bake/can/whatever.

But if I'm the only person who is complete inept at doing anything by hand then I'll stop doing the exchanges.

You're not the only one! That's why I think two exchanges would be good. A crafty/lower-limit one for those who want it, and an 'anything goes' one like we've been doing for those who don't want the change :)

We wouldn't even have to draw much distinction between the two; it would just require two lists on sallyomally's part, and people would state which one (or both!) when they send the sign-up PM. We could still have one big Q&A and picture thread.

If it's not too hard to coordinate, would it be possible to do one exchange and when the person signs up they can specify if they want to send/receive "handmade" or "everything and anything"?

So, for instance, I can say I would like to receive handmade but would prefer to send everything and anything because I'm not crafty. Then I could be matched with someone who is crafty and I can send to someone who prefers the standard box of goodies and not homemade.:dizzy: Now that I'm actually putting this in writing, I can see why it might be too complicated...maybe after my second cup of coffee...

It made sense to me since I've been wondering the same thing.

I'm another one that not crafty at all , but l love getting homemade/crafty things. I also don't mind getting store bought things. Either way I want to join in again. :D

I don't mind what I get sent as I always love the fact the sender has gone to so much trouble to pick out things for me.:starshower:I love receiving parcels in the post.:D

Because I am a total control freak I would love for the person to tell me almost exactly what they wanted so I could pick out things for them knowing that they would like it. If I sent homemade stuff then I would probably buy something homemade as I would have no idea what to make for them.:oops:

I really want to participate, but I can only do it if there is a spending limit that people actually stick to or it has to be restricted some other way e.g. only homemade stuff. I just can't afford to spend a lot on these things and the tradition has become to send like 20 items. I know the recipient is nearly always pleased with whatever they get, but when people post pictures of their huge stash and then your recipient posts your 4/5 items you feel mean and stingey no matter what they say.

Glad to see your input. I'm leaning more and more toward two exchanges (actually getting excited about the idea). If I recall, there were two threads -one for each along with a picture thread for each as well, but as far as that goes we could combine the pics. It sounds like a lot of fun and would be a great chance for our crafty VVers to show off their talents.

EDIT:

I know the parcel I sent looked like it had a lot of stuff in it, and there was more than £9 worth of stuff in there but I didn't spend more than that because of student discounts and loyalty card points. If the money limit had to be very strict so other people don't feel bad does that mean we aren't allowed to use things like that?

Absolutely OK to do that. I use discounts and bargain shop constantly. It's very rare that I go over the limit.
And don't you dare stop doing the exchanges, young lady! :no: I assure you you're not the only non crafty one here!

That may take some doing ,but I would definitely be willing to give it a try.

That's why I specified in my suggestion that for those who are not crafty, it would be equally acceptable to send something that a friend or family member made, or failing that, something from a local artisan. This time of year, most areas have holiday craft fairs selling jewelry/artwork/needlecrafts etc. Another option would be a locally made candle, or jam, or anything unique to your area. I thought it would be cool to support our local artists, particularly for those who lack the skills themselves.