Christmas Countdown - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. It is March. :ttth:

I'm gonna be a total grinch until at least the start of November. Normally it would be later but that's when I have to start advertising Christmas cake specials :p

I'm actually starting to think about gifts for this Christmas. I want to do a better job of spreading out the shopping. :D

Reactions: KLS52
So far I've picked a few little presents up, got some wrapping paper & also a few packs of cards. Will need some more cards/paper but its a good start.

We've also offered to have James' family round on boxing day which is quite exciting seeing as we've never been able to do that before (first Christmas in our own place.) So our first go at hosting... It'll be fun :)

So far I've picked a few little presents up, got some wrapping paper & also a few packs of cards. Will need some more cards/paper but its a good start.

We've also offered to have James' family round on boxing day which is quite exciting seeing as we've never been able to do that before (first Christmas in our own place.) So our first go at hosting... It'll be fun :)

It sounds like you are on top of things as far as organisation is concerned.:up:

I have also bought one present and have all my Christmas cards bought from the Donkey Sanctuary in Devon. I also have tons of wrapping paper left over from last year.;)

I always make a nut roast and Christmas pudding for the 24 th and 25 th. I will buy the nuts from Lidl's when they are on sale.

What will you be making for Boxing day lunch Raggle ? Have you ceased to work ?

I think we'll do a nut roast & all the usual trimmings, like a second Christmas day lunch! It'll be nice as everyone will get involved with cooking - that what his family like to do. :) I'd love to know which nut roast recipe you use, shyvas? We'll have to make it gluten free also as James' Mum is gf.

What are your Christmas day plans? Will you be in France?

No I'm currently signed off work - haven't been in since mid September (hyperemesis) so might be posting a lot more :rofl:

Reactions: KLS52
I think we'll do a nut roast & all the usual trimmings, like a second Christmas day lunch! It'll be nice as everyone will get involved with cooking - that what his family like to do. :) I'd love to know which nut roast recipe you use, shyvas? We'll have to make it gluten free also as James' Mum is gf.

What are your Christmas day plans? Will you be in France?

I always make a couple of nut roasts(they freeze well) , gravy (JO) , vegetables and cranberry sauce which I serve for 2 meals on the 24 th and 25 th. The only trimming that I make on the day are the roast potatoes.
I usually follow Rose Elliot's nut roast but do tweak it around. I never ever stick to a recipe.:p Last year I served it to an omni pal ( the cat lady) for new years eve dinner and she liked it or at least she told me so.

No I'm currently signed off work - haven't been in since mid September (hyperemesis) so might be posting a lot more :rofl:

That's what I thought. Take care and drink plenty of fizzy ginger.

I'm not sure where I'll be for Christmas as I'm looking for a job in the UK. I'm planning to do a live in housekeeping job for a year.

Reactions: PTree15

Cashew nut roast with herb stuffing from 'Vegetarian Christmas' by Rose Elliot,

• Serves 6
  • 50g/2oz/4 tbs non dairy butter or olive oil
  • 1 large onion, peeled and sliced and a leek (white part)
  • 225g/8oz/1¾ cups unroasted cashew nuts ( I use mixed nuts including pecans, hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds. I also leave some of them whole.
  • 125g/4oz white bread, crusts removed ( I use granary wholewheat)
  • 2 large cloves garlic
  • 200 ml/7 fl oz water or light vegetable stock (never add all the stock in one go. Add slowly and adjust. I also add a tsp of Marmite - yeast extract.
  • sea salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • grated nutmeg
  • a pinch of sage
  • a pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 quantity herb stuffing (I omit this part)

Set the oven to 200c/gas 6. Prepare a 450g/1lb loaf tin. Put a long strip of non-stick paper across the bottom and up the two narrow sides, then use some of the butter to grease the pan and paper well.

Melt most of the remaining butter in a medium-sized saucepan, add the onion and fry for about 10 minutes until tender but not browned. Remove from the heat.

Grind the cashew nuts in a food processor with the bread and garlic, then add to the onion together with the water or stock, salt, pepper, grated nutmeg and lemon juice to taste. Put half the cashew nut mixture into the prepared pan, top with the herb stuffing, then spoon the rest of the nut mixture on top. Dot with the remaining butter. Stand the pan in another pan to catch any butter oozing out, then bake for about 30 minutes or until firm and lightly browned. Cover the roast with foil if it gets too brown before then.

Cool for a minute or two in the pan, then slip a knife around the sides, turn the nut roast out and strip off the paper. Garnish with sprigs of parsley and small slices of lemon, and surround with roast potatoes, if you're serving them.

I omit the herb stuffing. I use a mixture of nuts ; cashews, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts and pecans. I also add extra ground almonds to the bread (granary wholewheat) crumbs. I also add extra onion powder and puréed chick peas to bind plus a teaspoon of lemon pepper and salt free seasoing and evo. Just make sure that the mixture is neither too dry and not too moist.

I add a few fresh bay leaf on top plus another drizzle of evo before roasting. I make them at least 48 hrs in advance. They also freeze very well. I leave a few of the nuts in pieces to give some crunch.

Last edited:
Thank you for the recipe & tips :) may try a few different ones in the run up & see what combinations we like best. Great tip about freezing too - wouldn't have thought of that.

That's super exciting about the UK job! I hope you find something perfect very soon.

Thank you for the recipe & tips :) may try a few different ones in the run up & see what combinations we like best. Great tip about freezing too - wouldn't have thought of that.

That's super exciting about the UK job! I hope you find something perfect very soon.

It's by far the best recipe that I've ever made.

I always make the nut roast in advance. I usually make the gravy one week before hand and freeze it in a zip lock. I also make the cranberry sauce several days beforehand and store it in a glass jar in the fridge. I prepare all the vegetables in the morning except for the glazed carrots that I cook the day before. So basically it's only roasting the potatoes plus all the other vegetables just before dinner.

Thanks for the kind wishes. We will see.

Reactions: PTree15
Excellent tips. I've taken them all on board :D

Keep us updated with the job search! Also, if there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Reactions: Val and PTree15
I have been looking for something different for Christmas dinner this year. I like the sound of this roast. Thanks for sharing, shyvas!

Reactions: Val
I have been looking for something different for Christmas dinner this year. I like the sound of this roast. Thanks for sharing, shyvas!

It really is delicious especially if you serve it with JO's gravy. I don't know why it not more often on the menu.

It's also delicious for making sandwiches if you have any leftovers. It also freezes very well if put into a ziplock.

Vegan gravy | Christmas recipes | Jamie Oliver recipes

Last edited:
Wow, that looks amazing. Maybe I’ll give it a try, too. I’ve been in a real food slump. I need some motivation to try out some good recipes. I’m getting really tired of tofu scrambles, lentils/beans and rice, and pasta.

Status
Not open for further replies.