Vegan Chocolate & Spice Cake

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Recipe posted by PTree.

Ok, here's the spice cake recipe (finally!). It's a little inexact as it came from my grandma, but here goes:
1 box of raisins (I think it's either 12 or 16 ounces in the store, but I can't remember exactly how much. At least a cup and a half of raisins, though and perhaps a tad more)

1 3/4 cups sugar
3 cups water
1 stick of vegan butter or margarine
4 cups flour, unsifted
1 TBSP
Ok, here's the spice cake recipe (finally!). It's a little inexact as it came from my grandma, but here goes:
1 box of raisins (I think it's either 12 or 16 ounces in the store, but I can't remember exactly how much. At least a cup and a half of raisins, though and perhaps a tad more)
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 cups water
1 stick of vegan butter or margarine
4 cups flour, unsifted
1 TBSP of cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
1 scant TBSP of baking soda
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour tube pan (or Bundt pan) well.
In a saucepan combine raisins, sugar, water and butter and bring to a boil. Turn off, remove from heat and let cool.
Sift together flour, cinnamon, cloves, salt and baking soda and set aside.
When wet mixture is cool, add to dry mixture and mix until blended. Try not to overmix. Batter will be kind of thick.
(Note: you may add nuts, coconut or citrus, according to my grandma, lol, but I've never added any of these. I think the nuts might be nice, but I really love this cake without any of these)
Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out dry. If using for cupcakes, bake 15 to 20 minutes. (I might try the cupcakes at some points, lol)
Let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan. Cover cake with a cloth and let cool completely on a wire rack.
of cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
1 scant TBSP of baking soda
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour tube pan (or Bundt pan) well.
In a saucepan combine raisins, sugar, water and butter and bring to a boil. Turn off, remove from heat and let cool.
Sift together flour, cinnamon, cloves, salt and baking soda and set aside.
When wet mixture is cool, add to dry mixture and mix until blended. Try not to overmix. Batter will be kind of thick.
(Note: you may add nuts, coconut or citrus, according to my grandma, lol, but I've never added any of these. I think the nuts might be nice, but I really love this cake without any of these)
Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out dry. If using for cupcakes, bake 15 to 20 minutes. (I might try the cupcakes at some points, lol)
Let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan. Cover cake with a cloth and let cool completely on a wire rack.

Last edited: