Chlorine+ b12 or coenzyme b12 = cyanide-de-chlorinate their water?

Nekodaiden

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I just read this:

Abstract
Results are presented that explore the possibility of organocyanide compounds in wastewater contributing to elevated cyanide levels in the chlorinated effluents of publicly owned treatment works. Four model compounds, acetonitrile, amygdalin, cyanocobalamin, and 2-acetoxy-3-butenenitrile, were selected and tested with varying chlorine dosages for release of cyanide by total and diffusible cyanide procedures. The coenzyme form of vitamin B12, which does not contain cyanide, was also tested. It was found that acetonitrile and amygdalin do not yield cyanide with or without chlorination, cyanocobalamin had increased release with increased chlorine dosages, and 2-acetoxy-3-butenenitrile had generally decreased release of cyanide with increased chlorine dosages. Both cyanocobalamin and coenzyme vitamin B12 gave evidence of the formation of the cobalt-cyanide complex after chlorination, even though the molecular structure of the coenzyme vitamin B12 contains no cyanide.

and have downloaded the full article for study. My water is chlorinated. I have recently been filling up buckets of it and letting it air out over a day or so. I do not know how much chlorine is reduced, but I do know the water does taste better.

Do you de-chlorinate your water? How about de-flourinate it? I have heard of methods (such as using terracotta pots to get rid of the fluoride as well, but don't know enough about it.

Besides the fact that chlorine kills the B12 producing bacteria, it sure seems like another good argument for only drinking/washing your vegetables in water that is free from chlorine.

Hi,yes I have been filtering tap water for several years now, after concerns about the cocktail of toxic chemicals that are routinely added to our tap water.Luckily the water around here does not have fluoride added ,but does have several other unpleasant toxins added.Just get a decent water filter that removes chlorine,(not the cheap platstic ones that need new filters every month)the water tastes so much better and doesnt smell like a swimming pool.

Reactions: Nekodaiden
I have made a habit of putting out water (example, pasta cooking water) ahead of time to try to allow some of the gases to evaporate and I do the same with the kettle and with the water I feed to my plants.

We bring in distilled water for direct drinking.

My dental hygienist tried to give me grief for not drinking tap water ..... despite there being no evidence that it had affected my teeth. Not impressed! I brush my teeth with tap water and use it for everything except drinking.

I am so thankful, every day, that we have access to clean water and lots of it, despite there being extras in it that I would prefer to avoid.

Emma JC