CN Fake meat Perfected centuries before the Impossible Burger

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I thought this was really interesting and wanted to share

That's interesting. :)

Plant based milk, especially almond milk was also popular in medieval times. They also used a lot of dried fruit and vegetables in vegetarian recipes.

Medieval cuisine is one of my favorite subjects because the assumptions modern people have are so ludicrous. Lentils were a major staple of a common person's diet, as was dark breads and a vegetable pottage of turnips and cabbage and whatever else they could find. Medieval people ate eggs and milk but little to no meat unless they were aristocracy.

I once saw a cooking show on YouTube where some foodie chef was all like, "today we are making Medieval food".... and he substituted PORK for APPLES in a dish. That's one of the hugest leaps away from logic I ever witnessed. I especially love telling white nationalists that their ancestors weren't the burly meat eaters they imagine they were.

Some Chinese Buddhist temples offer lunchtime meals to the public, at a low price (or by donation). The fake meat is usually pretty good. At some temples, you're basically eating with the monks and nuns (so you must observe quiet). At other temples, the public eats in a dedicated room, and conversation is fine.

Once the pandemic is under control, I look forward to those buffets again.

Reactions: Lou
Some Chinese Buddhist temples offer lunchtime meals to the public, at a low price (or by donation). The fake meat is usually pretty good. At some temples, you're basically eating with the monks and nuns (so you must observe quiet). At other temples, the public eats in a dedicated room, and conversation is fine.

Once the pandemic is under control, I look forward to those buffets again.
Where are they. Maybe I can go.

In the Los Angeles area of California, a very nice temple to visit is Hsi Lai Temple in Hacienda Heights. It's kind of a "tourist temple", in addition to a monastery.

They are currently closed to the public, but they normally have a really nice buffet, plus a big tea room, library, gardens, and courtyard. Very crowded during Chinese New Year, due to the incredible temple decorations during that time.

It looks like there are also Buddhist temples in the San Mateo area. Not sure if they serve a public lunch.

Not all Buddhist temples serve veg-only food. Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese, and Vietnamese Buddhist temples generally are veg-only. Thai, Tibetan, and Japanese Buddhist temples may not be veg-only.

Last edited: