Chimps trust some humans more than baboons, unfamiliar chimps

This is one of those studies that just confirms what those of us who have lived closely with animals knew already.

I thought the claim that chimps give greetings to some humans similar to what they give to other chimps very interesting. More reason to respect chimps.

I didn't think most species even greet humans. I recall Jane Goodall mentioning something about them kissing each other and cradling their young. They can be violent at times too. They may be more human-like than any other species. It amazes me how we don't look at them as highly as we should. I think chimps think much more highly of humans than humans do of them.

I didn't think most species even greet humans. I recall Jane Goodall mentioning something about them kissing each other and cradling their young. They can be violent at times too. They may be more human-like than any other species. It amazes me how we don't look at them as highly as we should. I think chimps think much more highly of humans than humans do of them.

Most non-humans who have become acclimated to humans greet humans, and not just the domesticated ones. Dolphins, lions, parrots - the list goes on and on. Most warm blooded species cradle their young and do something equivalent to kissing. We humans aren't so special or different.

Baby mammals need their mother's milk, and that starts the socialization helpful for survival.

I think there might be some flaw in the study. I mean, they are interpreting the chimps' behavior as liking, or trusting people. I think it might also be that they don't see us as a physical threat as much as a baboon or another chimpanzee, so they are bound to be more relaxed and open.