2 sticks of celery, stringed and chopped plus a few leaves
2 bay leaves
1 tsp tomato paste
1/1.25 litres of vegetable stock or water
2 tbs of olive oil or corn oil
150 ml of soya or oatly cream
a knob of vegan spread
salt & pepper

Melt the oil in a big pot and gently sweat the onions (leek), garlic and celery. Do not over brown.
Add the diced sweet potato(or squash) and continue to cook for another few minutes. Add the chestnuts to the vegetables.
Add the stock, bay leaves, celery leaves, and tomato paste. Season to taste. Simmer for approx.20 - 25 minutes.
Discard the bay leaves and remove some of the stock before blending in a FP or with a hand blender.
Add a knob of vegan butter and the cream and extra stock if necessary. Adjust the seasoning with some freshly milled pepper and more salt if required.

Tip : You can omit the celery leaves. You may also add some chopped chestnuts and drizzle a tiny bit of evo or pumkin oil over the soup.

Serve with toasted wholemeal pitta bread.

k0374423.jpg

Last edited:
Chesnuts and sweet potato? Sounds weird, but two of my favourite foods, so I have to try this :)

• Disagree
Reactions: shyvas
I guess because I've never eaten them together. When I cook with chestnuts, it usually involves booze and mushrooms. When I cook with sweet potato, it usually involves spices and tomatoes. So in my head they conjure up different flavours.

But often things that sound a little odd taste great so I'm open to trying new things. Especially is the source is good. Although I tried that once with a banana curry and it was a mistake! Should have trusted my instincts on that one :p

:D
I guess because I've never eaten them together. When I cook with chestnuts, it usually involves booze and mushrooms. When I cook with sweet potato, it usually involves spices and tomatoes. So in my head they conjure up different flavours.

But often things that sound a little odd taste great so I'm open to trying new things. Especially is the source is good. Although I tried that once with a banana curry and it was a mistake! Should have trusted my instincts on that one :p

Chestnuts and mushrooms pair well. Sweet potatoes, spices and tomatoes all pair well.
You could leave out the sweet potato if you wish but I think that it add a nice base to the soup.