chemicals in household dust linked to cancer and infertility

robert99

On the boat
Reaction score
Toxic chemicals in household dust linked to cancer and infertility

“We think our homes are a safe haven but unfortunately they are being polluted by toxic chemicals from all our products,” said Veena Singla, co-author of the study from the Natural Resources Defense Council in California.

The researchers highlighted 45 toxic chemicals in indoor dust, 10 of which were present in 90% or more of the dust samples – these included flame retardants, fragrances and phenols.

Among them is the flame retardant TDCIPP that is known to be cancer-causing and is frequently found in furniture foam, baby products and carpet padding, as is TPHP, another flame retardant in the top 10 list that can affect the reproductive and nervous systems.

Vacuum floors, wash hands with soap and water before eating, cleaning with a wet mop and dusting with a damp cloth can help to reduce household dust levels. Duh, do people really need this to be explained to them?:D

Yes, I was being sarcastic about the advice in the article, even a child of 4 or 5 should know they have to wash their hands before eating!

We took up all the carpets after we got the dogs as it is far easier to keep clean with bare floors. I also use an eco mop as you can just use it with water and the floors dry very quickly. I think having the windows and doors open as much as you can helps too, as well as not using too many different cleaning products.