Cheese recipe

I have made stretchy cheese from Cooking with Plants website, Did try one of her harder cheeses but as we rarely eat cheese felt that it wasn't worth the effort. Having children in the household would likely change that dynamic. That's why I love nutritional yeast as you can add that cheesy taste to many things. BTW it is so much less expensive to buy "nooch" in bulk. Even on Amazon it is over $8 CAD for 142 grams and I can buy 500 grams for that same money at the bulk store.

Emma JC

Just ordered some agar agar, tapioca starch and some bulk nooch from amazon. I've got to do some looking for a good store around here that does that stuff in bulk. Whole Foods used to have it now they just sell the smaller plastic jar....and I dont call it Whole Paycheck for nothing ... I've already been through a ton (of the nooch flakes)...love the stuff.

So as for the hard cheese I'm looking for something I can make and slice for the kids and for sandwiches. I've narrowed it down to a couple recipes and they all use the agar agar and the starch....so I think I'm just going to play around from there. I will definitely try looking at the one from Cooking With Plants...The premade stuff tastes pretty good...had the Follow Your Heart smoked Gouda which was real nice but was looking to make something little more economical and with fewer ingredients/processing.

another thought - I was watching an Edgy Veg youtube video yesterday and she used thin slices of tofu on her sandwich, sort of as a cheese. She did use smoked tofu and then she seasoned it with the black salt or Kala Namak which gives tofu an eggy flavour - it could be flavoured with just salt and pepper though and would give the mouth feel of cheese? maybe?

Maybe this will help? https://www.litterless.com/bulk-food-guide/connecticut

Emma JC

So as for the hard cheese I'm looking for something I can make and slice for the kids and for sandwiches.

I know that you're looking to make the cheese yourself, but some of the newer vegan sliced cheeses ("Chao" cheese in particular) are very good/convincing for cold sandwiches. Not so good for hot foods (doesn't melt in a cheese-like fashion).

1579809999334.png

Just ordered some agar agar, tapioca starch and some bulk nooch from amazon. I've got to do some looking for a good store around here that does that stuff in bulk. Whole Foods used to have it now they just sell the smaller plastic jar....and I dont call it Whole Paycheck for nothing ... I've already been through a ton (of the nooch flakes)...love the stuff.

So as for the hard cheese I'm looking for something I can make and slice for the kids and for sandwiches. I've narrowed it down to a couple recipes and they all use the agar agar and the starch....so I think I'm just going to play around from there. I will definitely try looking at the one from Cooking With Plants...The premade stuff tastes pretty good...had the Follow Your Heart smoked Gouda which was real nice but was looking to make something little more economical and with fewer ingredients/processing.

There is another YouTubers who makes interesting complicated recipes, I've only watched a couple and he does have some cheese ones.

Sauce Stache.... lol check him out as it may be helpful for you. Also apparently Mary's Test Kitchen (never watched).

I tend not to watch people that make long complicated recipes.

Emma JC

I will definitely check these out! I like complicated lol....but to be fair, Im not really a recipe person overall...I watch a few, take the premise and then experiment, often getting mixed results and then trying to shape it in the direction I am looking for.

I know that you're looking to make the cheese yourself, but some of the newer vegan sliced cheeses ("Chao" cheese in particular) are very good/convincing for cold sandwiches. Not so good for hot foods (doesn't melt in a cheese-like fashion).

View attachment 1457
This and then Follow Your Heart are both the best of the prepackaged slices. I have a package of this stuff in my fridge and its really good!

I'm so happy with Daiya blocks, FYH slices and now Chao original slices I haven't given any thought to making it anymore.
I certainly never eat vegan cheese like I used to eat dairy cheese, but I think that's only because I'd been off it so long

Vegan cheese story:

About a year ago, I was visiting with a couple whose preferred staple meal was vegan ham sandwiches with vegan cheese and vegan mayo. I enjoyed their sandwiches, but so strange for me as an "old-timer". They didn't have such convincing vegan "miracle foods" when I went vegan in 1991. I'm more of a beans-and-rice vegan.

Last edited:
Dougrus,

I don't have access to vegan cheese where I live, and have only tried one product one time and didn't care for it. While not a substitute for cheese on pizza and the like, on sandwiches I use shiro miso as a spread. For me, that ticks all the boxes for cheese on a cold sandwich.

One place I've purchased Red Star nooch in quantity was from Bulkfoods.com because I can't get that locally either in anything other than a shaker bottle. A 5lb bag is about $37 last time I got it, and shipping was $5 on orders over $75 and I always would order enough to qualify for that.

Last edited:
Dougrus,

I don't have access to vegan cheese where I live, and have only tried one product one time and didn't care for it. While not a substitute for cheese on pizza and the like, on sandwiches I use shiro miso as a spread. For me, that ticks all the boxes for cheese on a cold sandwich.

One place I've purchased Red Star nooch in quantity was from Bulkfoods.com because I can't get that locally either in anything other than a shaker bottle. A 5lb bag is about $37 last time I got it, and shipping was $5 on orders over $75 and I always would order enough to qualify for that.
Thanks for the advice. I checked out bulkfoods...great price....will also try the miso spread for sandwiches!

Reactions: Emma JC and Hog
Not cheese, but cooked potatoes with vegan mayo, a bit of lemon juice and lots of nooch, (and chives are really good) is really very cheesey.
I guess like the potato carrot sauces that I hate so much, but without the carrot!

I do like Chao original, but thought the garden herb was horrid- like plastic!

Reactions: Hog
I will definitely check these out! I like complicated lol....but to be fair, Im not really a recipe person overall...I watch a few, take the premise and then experiment, often getting mixed results and then trying to shape it in the direction I am looking for.
Intuitive cooking produces the best results, imo. I wish you all the success.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Dougrus
Not cheese, but cooked potatoes with vegan mayo, a bit of lemon juice and lots of nooch, (and chives are really good) is really very cheesey.
I guess like the potato carrot sauces that I hate so much, but without the carrot!

I do like Chao original, but thought the garden herb was horrid- like plastic!
I tried a version of this and it was really great! Thanks for the idea

Reactions: Emma JC