Cheese: help and advice appreciated!

rsw

Newcomer
Reaction score
I read on the internet that ricotta is made the same way paneer is and rennet is not needed in this process. But, when I look at the packaging of ricotta tubs in the supermarket, some specify that they are vegetarian and others don't say that they are? This is the same for different brands of feta cheese also, suggesting some brands can confirm they didn't use animal rennet and others cannot, so they can't claim it's vegetarian.

How is it that different brands of the same cheese can say a different thing on the packaging regarding whether they are sutiable for vegetarians or not?

Because of this, i don't know whether to buy meals at my school such as a greek salad in case the feta was made with animal rennet?
The only vegetarian option at my school prom will be spinach and ricotta cannelloni, but how do I know that this meal is actually vegetarian?
It seems many people working at preparing food may not know what goes in to the food during the process, and things could be incorrectly labelled as vegetarian.

Any advice?
Sorry if anything i've written here isn't correct, I chose to follow this diet less than a year ago
Thank you!!!!

Would you be able to ask what brand cheese they use? You could contact the company.

I'll have to ask them but in regards to the prom they are using an external caterer so i'll have to find out who they are. I hate feeling like i'm causing a fuss over nothing but I can't bear the thought of eating parts of a calves stomach in my meal!
Sorry, I live in the UK but thank you for the link anyway! :)

Non animal rennet would make it a vegetarian cheese, rsw. Yes.

Any milk based cheese is not vegan though.

I just thought I'd point that out as this is a vegan forum.

Edited to add:

Wrong forum - ignore me, I'm an idiot ... :fp:

Reactions: Amy SF