Cheap but tasty vegan food.

gbsk

Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
I have been a vegetarian since 1973 so and have worked in vegetarian restaurants. I might become vegan except for 2 reasons - taste and cost. Vegan ice cream is usually pretty good but I find the cost is expensive. Vegan cheese is usually bad tasting with the major exception of Miyoko's cheese. That was just as good as cow cheese. The "cheese" made with nutritional yeast is laughable and not a cheese taste at all. The cheeses made with nuts are not bad tasting but they taste like a sauce or dip and not at all like a cheese. I go to local vegan potlucks because they are very nice people and often have the same values. However, most of the food is not very good. The local vegans are against using any kind of oil in cooking or baking. In cooking you can omit is usually without bad effects but making pastries without oil usually makes things semi edible. I do not want to complain but want to know if people have good recipes for making dairy substitutes that are tasty and as cheap as dairy? Thanks.

silva

Master
Supporter
Reaction score
I happen to love Daiya block cheeses, Chao original, Follow your Heart parm shreds, and smoked gouda and provolone slices (all that I tried). It takes much less vegan cheese to satisfy my cravings. I would eat half a block of dairy cheese!
I find olives, mushrooms, caramelized onions and artichoke hearts to be good subs where I liked the salty, fattiness of cheese.
As for ice cream, it was more just quitting it, although I did love Pierres dark chocolate sorbet, and a local discount store sold it at a lower price than others
There are so many vegan desserts I made baking a hobby and gained all the weight I'd lost as a vegetarian, when I had minimal dairy and ate healthier whole foods
In general eating vegan, sticking to whole plant foods, much cheaper

• 👍
Reactions: Mischief

Lou

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I don't mind spending a little extra on Vegan Ice Cream. But the main thing is not to eat it very often anyway -- it still isn't that healthy being mostly fat and sugar.

But a really good alternative to ice cream is to blend a frozen banana with a little salt and water. Bananas are 19¢ at Trader Joes. And Bananas are good for you

PTree15

Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I second making your own ice cream. I make a banana-nut butter version. It's a recipe I found online, but I can't remember where. Anyway, it's 3 frozen bananas, half a cup of nut butter (almond or cashew works really well, which is pricy, but peanut butter is fine, too), a 1/4 to 1/3 cup of maple syrup, a pinch of salt. In a food processor, pulse the bananas a few times to get them chunky. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth. It comes out like a Wendy's Frosty, but when you freeze it, it gets solid. It's really tasty.

Mischief

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
You have experience cooking and baking, so you know how to make food taste good. Just because the local vegans don't use oil or sufficient spices and seasonings doesn't mean you can't.

I'm veg*n for ethical reasons, not health reasons. I like good food; I always have.

I don't buy PB cheese - too expensive and not interesting enough, IMO. When I want something rich and creamy, I make pesto to eat with pasta. Pesto is also a great sub for cheese on pizza and in lasagna - much tastier than cheese ever was.

I make my pesto with fresh baby spinach instead of basil, or a combination of spinach and basil, because I can make it thicker and creamier without getting overwhelmed by too much basil. I don't always use pine nuts - sometimes I use cashews, or walnuts, etc.

I make pates with flavors reminiscent of some of the German sausages I used to eat, using Great Northern beans, which I cook with various spices, as a base. And yes, I use plenty of good quality oils in the pates.

As for baking - I've never baked better stuff than after eschewing dairy and eggs. It's just a matter of figuring out which leavening and binding agents work best for various applications.

I'm a sucker for cakes and pastries, and generally much prefer them to ice cream. I don't eat ice cream often, so the higher cost of nondairy ice cream isn't an issue for me.

If you have specific questions, or specific types of recipes you're looking for (for example, chocolate pudding, or a specific type of cake, etc.), we can be more specific in our answers.

PTree15

Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
You have experience cooking and baking, so you know how to make food taste good. Just because the local vegans don't use oil or sufficient spices and seasonings doesn't mean you can't.

I'm veg*n for ethical reasons, not health reasons. I like good food; I always have.

I don't buy PB cheese - too expensive and not interesting enough, IMO. When I want something rich and creamy, I make pesto to eat with pasta. Pesto is also a great sub for cheese on pizza and in lasagna - much tastier than cheese ever was.

I make my pesto with fresh baby spinach instead of basil, or a combination of spinach and basil, because I can make it thicker and creamier without getting overwhelmed by too much basil. I don't always use pine nuts - sometimes I use cashews, or walnuts, etc.

I make pates with flavors reminiscent of some of the German sausages I used to eat, using Great Northern beans, which I cook with various spices, as a base. And yes, I use plenty of good quality oils in the pates.

As for baking - I've never baked better stuff than after eschewing dairy and eggs. It's just a matter of figuring out which leavening and binding agents work best for various applications.

I'm a sucker for cakes and pastries, and generally much prefer them to ice cream. I don't eat ice cream often, so the higher cost of nondairy ice cream isn't an issue for me.

If you have specific questions, or specific types of recipes you're looking for (for example, chocolate pudding, or a specific type of cake, etc.), we can be more specific in our answers.
I couldn't agree more on the pesto. I could eat that stuff with a spoon. :D I make my mine with all basil. I've never tried the spinach version, but I might just for something different. I do love basil, though. Pesto is also great on sandwiches instead of cheese. It gives a sandwich a nice pop of tang and flavor, and you don't even need a lot of it. I have 10 batches of homemade pesto in the freezer. It keeps amazingly well for months in the freezer and tastes quite fresh when it thaws.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B How cheap is a plant based diet Transitioning 6
Forest Nymph Cheap eats super quick Food & Drink 5
S Cheap vegan vitamins General 3
Coco Lee Media Exciting, exotic, easy, and cheap vegan recipes! (free strawberry/rose sorbet included) Marketplace 0
K Cheap Vegan Snacks General 8
E Cheap vegan recipe ideas? Recipes 1
www.rooskitchen.com Media Vegan recipies cheap and easy Marketplace 1
robert99 War on the cheap USA 3
D TWO cheap/quick/easy burgers! Recipe video Recipes 3
Calliegirl Cheap flight deals Frugality 0
nothingfishyomega Product Cheap plug for our vegan Omega 3 product... Marketplace 0
Bite Size Vegan Vegan Pecan Pie Bites | Easy, Cheap & Raw! Desserts 0
SummerRain Cheap, varied dried fruit? UK & Eire 5
AeryFairy Literature Cheap/Free Kindle Books Media & Entertainment 10
Emma JC Tasty bites Products 1
V UK Vegan baby food Offer Products 0
Lou News Labels on Vegan Products Products 2
Brian1 Rowntrees becoming vegan Products 2
Sproutskies Beautiful Vegan Women Relationships 7
David3 US Mickey Mouse vegan Chik'n nuggets-Walmart General 0
daxm Weird Taste Changes in my mouth since going Vegan General 17
Brian1 A new vegan in my life Relationships 12
thinman Vegan or strict Vegetarian Transitioning 22