Channel 4 - the truth about vegans 10.00 tonight

Sally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
For those of us in the UK this programme is on tonight. I'm not sure what to expect, whether it will be positive or if I'll be shouting at the telly. Anyway, just in case anyone didn't know I thought I'd highlight it.

my prediction: "eating meat is bad for the following reasons........however it tastes great so maybe just try to cut back a little, if it's not too much to ask"

Reactions: betiPT and Lou
It was interesting, they really went after Viva, quite unfairly I thought. After all somebody has got to show the truth. For me the defining moment was when, after being shown the footage of the pigs in hell at Hogwood Farm, the animal welfare inspector said he saw nothing wrong. Said it all really. When the Despatches cameras were there the few pigs they were shown were outside in lots of hay, a bit different, and to his credit the reporter did question that they hadn't been shown all the pigs, who were in locked sheds. They were unfair to Viva, but there was quite a lot implied but left unsaid, can't go after the farmers can you, they are protected by the Government at every turn. And, yes, the presenter says he is going vegan. At least it's a programme about veganism, so that's something, and for Viva's sake they will have to hope that any publicity is good publicity. Juliet Gellatley is an absolute heroine.

I don't know what Viva is. Over here in the colonies, it is a brand of paper towel. I googled it and got some info that made me think it was a foundation that promoted vegetarian and vegan lifestyles. Why would they go after them?

anyway, now I know who Juliet Gellatley is.

Well, at least we have Oprah Winfrey.

Reactions: betiPT
yeah! why did the show go after them? That they don't do enough? or do they just make meat eaters uncomfortable.

on a semi-related note. Oprah did a show on beef and got sued by the beef industry. And one of her guests got indicted. It turns out that here in America it's against the law to make disparaging statements about perishable food.

https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Mad-Cowboy/Howard-F-Lyman/9780684854465

yeah! why did the show go after them? That they don't do enough? or do they just make meat eaters uncomfortable.

on a semi-related note. Oprah did a show on beef and got sued by the beef industry. And one of her guests got indicted. It turns out that here in America it's against the law to make disparaging statements about perishable food.

https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Mad-Cowboy/Howard-F-Lyman/9780684854465

No wonder the industry has next to zero regulation and such inhumane practices... similar thing going on here in Australia. Luckily we have Anmals Australia putting up an amazing fight. Have you heard about our horrific live export?

Reactions: veganDreama
No wonder the industry has next to zero regulation and such inhumane practices... similar thing going on here in Australia. Luckily we have Anmals Australia putting up an amazing fight. Have you heard about our horrific live export?

No. Do tell.

oh VIVA is the biggest or oldest or both UK British Vegan Organisation. That Juliet Gellatleya VIVA VEGAN TEESHIRT at Pulford Chester Cheshire UK England near WALES CYMRU (2).jpg tshirt vegan viva.jpg a viva vegan pig tote bag.jpg egv-front-cover-viva-vegan.png nutrition-nutshell-guide-viva_0.jpg Viva! Cookbook full cover hi_0.jpg viva how many animals per person killed eaten.jpg a VIVA VEGAN TEESHIRT at Pulford Chester Cheshire UK England near WALES CYMRU (2).jpg tshirt vegan viva.jpg a viva vegan pig tote bag.jpg egv-front-cover-viva-vegan.png nutrition-nutshell-guide-viva_0.jpg Viva! Cookbook full cover hi_0.jpg viva how many animals per person killed eaten.jpg a VIVA VEGAN TEESHIRT at Pulford Chester Cheshire UK England near WALES CYMRU (2).jpg tshirt vegan viva.jpg a viva vegan pig tote bag.jpg egv-front-cover-viva-vegan.png viva how many animals per person killed eaten.jpg Viva! Cookbook full cover hi_0.jpg nutrition-nutshell-guide-viva_0.jpg egv-front-cover-viva-vegan.png a viva vegan pig tote bag.jpg a viva vegan pig tote bag.jpg tshirt vegan viva.jpg a VIVA VEGAN TEESHIRT at Pulford Chester Cheshire UK England near WALES CYMRU (2).jpg a VIVA VEGAN TEESHIRT at Pulford Chester Cheshire UK England near WALES CYMRU (2).jpg tshirt vegan viva.jpg a viva vegan pig tote bag.jpg egv-front-cover-viva-vegan.png nutrition-nutshell-guide-viva_0.jpg Viva! Cookbook full cover hi_0.jpg viva how many animals per person killed eaten.jpg a VIVA VEGAN TEESHIRT at Pulford Chester Cheshire UK England near WALES CYMRU (2).jpg tshirt vegan viva.jpg a viva vegan pig tote bag.jpg egv-front-cover-viva-vegan.png nutrition-nutshell-guide-viva_0.jpg Viva! Cookbook full cover hi_0.jpg viva how many animals per person killed eaten.jpg name lady is great. I have VIVA tshirts they are great too ! the best VIDEO they did was CRUEL BRITANNIA

Reactions: Lou and betiPT
whooops posted images too often by mistake...the pics of me in VIVA tshirts i add lol

No. Do tell.

We export our Sheep and Cows to third world countries and Israel - the whole process is horrific! Practice has been going on for 50 years!

Sweltering temperatures on the ship; the poor lambs die in their own feaces being cooked alive, and the ones that do make it in the month long journey get roped up in a car to get slaughtered in an unregulated way. Slaughtering will be halal or kosher, in other words, bled to death. But usually it’s a ‘back yarder’, Aussie slang for ‘done in an unregulated or unlawful way’, additionally in this case could actually be done in a back yard.

Good news is that Animals Australia did a massive campaign and ended the sheep live export trade... for now. Not sure if they have started again.

The Animals Australia campaign for ending sheep live export was massive: they got undercover footage, they placed damaging ads in the countries we export to, they placed ads in our capital city along the route the politicians travel to parliament, they also took the exporters to court, Federal High Court of Australia.

Link below, but it will make you sad. So please don’t watch if you are already sad or depressed or have a tendency for it. https://animalsaustralia.org/

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Good news is that Animals Australia did a massive campaign and ended the sheep live export trade.

Well that's good news. I hope it doesn't start up again.

I live in England so I know all about Viva but didn't watch the program because I am deafblind and don't even own a telly. I also admire Juliet Gellatley.

Reactions: Emma JC and betiPT
I still want to know why and how they went after Viva.
an
Viva is an animal rights organisation and their methods are sometimes illegal and sometimes morally wrong imho. For example they verbally attacked Jewish butchers saying that what they did as butchers was as bad as the holocaust. Here is their website https://www.viva.org.uk/ I think that their campaigns are sometimes counterproductive and put people off veganism.

Animals Australia has a good reputation (except with organisations that exploit animals) because they keep everything above board. They use "the system" to fight their battles... and they win, not easily, but they do. I don't think Animals Australia are affiliated with PETA Australia. PETA Australia have done very little in comparison.

Animals Australia are going after the dog races next... I think that cruel "sport" has its days numbered here.

Reactions: Emma JC
Animals Australia are going after the dog races next... I think that cruel "sport" has its days numbered here.
I spend a lot of time in Spain. Everyone says that the Spanish are probably the most cruel nation in Europe with regard to the treatment of animals. Near my apartment there is a dog park where I take my dogs every day to have a run off the lead. They love it and run round at great speed with all the other dogs. So I do not see dog racing per se as cruel, unless the owners of the dogs are abusing the animals in some way. Apparently dog racing and horse racing does attract many dog owners and horse owners who are pretty ruthless and have the dogs slaughtered when the animals are still far from too old to lead a normal (non-racing) life. I hate any cruelty to animals but the fact remains that dogs love to "work" and the activity of racing is certainly preferable to leaving dogs at home most of the day with inadequate exercise. I am very pleased if the full force of the law is brought to bear on anyone who abuses animals. In fact I would say that even the sterilisation of domestic animals is a cruel abuse.

Hey Mark,

Maybe in other countries dog racing is humane but I will tell you a little of what happens in Australia. Apologies if this is distressing; if you are sad or suffer from depression please don’t read on.

Live baiting: They breed rabbits to be chased as live bait. The poor rabbits have no way to escape and die a horrific death by a pack of dogs.

Treadmills: the dogs are chained up to treadmills to train all day long.

Blood letting: the dogs that don’t perform get bled to death and the blood is then pumped into the racing dogs for increased performance.

At my local farmers market they have ex racing greyhounds for adoption, they are majestic animals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou