Cereal suitable for wild birds?

I've put some old Jordan's cereal on my bird ledge, and a robin seems very taken by it; a few smaller birds, the odd blackbird, and a gobbling wood-pigeon....plus the squirrel(think you've got to be careful not to give peanuts to squirrels)

Reactions: KLS52
Oh my (to giving peanuts to squirrels)! I feed my squirrels peanuts, regularly! *runs off to Internet search*

Unsalted peanuts are okay for squirrels, as long as it isn't the majority of their diet.

Are peanuts bad for squirrels to eat?

• 3d9b4ce2ab0fcd2ec8057d961ff68c0326560195.jpg
View Slide Show
Answer:
One of the more common and inexpensive foods fed to squirrels is peanuts. Recent studies however have shown that raw peanuts contain a trypsin inhibitor that prevents the absorption of protein in the intestines, therefore offering peanuts that have been roasted is the better option. However, wildlife rehabilitators in the field have noted that neither raw and roasted peanuts or sunflower seeds are good for squirrels, since they are deficient in several essential nutrients. This type of deficiency has been found to cause Metabolic Bone Disease, a somewhat common ailment found in malnourished squirrels.
hazelnut, chest nut and berries are a better option.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_peanuts_bad_for_squirrels_to_eat

I feed the ground squirrels here a mix of walnuts (their absolute favorite), almonds, barley, dried split peas, oats, pig pellets and pieces of fruit if I have any on hand (they only seem to like the bananas and grapes). Each squirrel has a preference of what they will grab out of the mix, but they all go for the nuts first. I usually throw a handful or two out for them in the afternoon.