Privacy Cellphone Number Privacy

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm posting this on behalf of @Joe :

I've been having some problems, but also a related question.

I've been having problems keeping up with my lawn, in part due to the grass just growing like crazy in part due to breakdowns in the lawnmower.

Unfortunately, it seems that if you let your grass grow a little long, people start jumping out of their skin. They think this is the equivalent of your putting a "FOR SALE" sign in front of your house. I've tried to go out and cut my grass only to have guys pull into my driveway and want to talk to me. "You wanna sell your house? Huh? Huh? Huh? You wanna sell your house?" Realtors have followed me when I walked up my driveway. They stick brochures in my door frames. They flood my mailbox. It's like a God-damned plague of locusts!

My related question is this: I got a phone call from some fellow about wanting to buy my house. He left a voice-mail but sort of mumbled so I could not really make out what he was saying. But I have my phone service (cellphone) through Virgin Mobile. I had thought this meant that my cellphone number was for all practical purposes an unlisted number. So, how did he get my number? Any ideas?

I've been having some problems, but also a related question.

I've been having problems keeping up with my lawn, in part due to the grass just growing like crazy in part due to breakdowns in the lawnmower.

Unfortunately, it seems that if you let your grass grow a little long, people start jumping out of their skin. They think this is the equivalent of your putting a "FOR SALE" sign in front of your house. I've tried to go out and cut my grass only to have guys pull into my driveway and want to talk to me. "You wanna sell your house? Huh? Huh? Huh? You wanna sell your house?" Realtors have followed me when I walked up my driveway. They stick brochures in my door frames. They flood my mailbox. It's like a God-damned plague of locusts!

My related question is this: I got a phone call from some fellow about wanting to buy my house. He left a voice-mail but sort of mumbled so I could not really make out what he was saying. But I have my phone service (cellphone) through Virgin Mobile. I had thought this meant that my cellphone number was for all practical purposes an unlisted number. So, how did he get my number? Any ideas?

Most probably from someone else.

I experienced many weeks/months of consistent nuisance calls.... if I don't recognize a number, I don't answer, I press "Ignore".... Some stopped, then they started coming from what appeared to be a cell number in my area code, and always with the same beginning three digits (that were like mine).... then weird text messages I knew were BS.... I finally updated my Verizon account and am now adding any harassing number to my block list (if I can).

I haven't been bothered by any of that sh*t for two weeks, straight... it's been beautiful. Thank you, spam-blocker. LOL :up:

I experienced many weeks/months of consistent nuisance calls.... if I don't recognize a number, I don't answer, I press "Ignore".... Some stopped, then they started coming from what appeared to be a cell number in my area code, and always with the same beginning three digits (that were like mine).... then weird text messages I knew were BS.... I finally updated my Verizon account and am now adding any harassing number to my block list (if I can).

I haven't been bothered by any of that sh*t for two weeks, straight... it's been beautiful. Thank you, spam-blocker. LOL :up:

Unfortunately, my cell phone provider, Virgin Mobile, does not provide any number blocking services--and they say so right on their website. They've probably been asked about it a million times. :)

There are many sites that will provide a persons cell phone number for a fee. Usually $1.99 - $3.99. That's probably how he got it. Also, property owner listing are public, so all he had to do is get your name from a property list, and then pay one of those services for your number.

-

Reactions: Second Summer