Cat killed by neighbors dogs - your course of action?

Dedalus

Mercurial and fleeting
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hey all -

Mim – our beloved warrior princess in the form a blue-ish gray cat with a peach belly – was killed Sunday, Sept 2nd by dogs that wandered into our yard. She was taken violently from the chair where she peacefully slept on our back porch - shaken viciously a time or 2 as dogs will do – and left to die in the wet grass not 10 feet away.

I had seen her before I went to bed that night – about 12:30am. I kissed her head and patted her down as I do every night. I discovered her at 6:30am that morning – so the tragedy happened at some point after we were all sleeping. We heard or saw nothing.
The next day I went out and bought a trail-camera - to see if I could monitor what was going on in my backyard at night - particularly my own back porch. I set up Mim's chair with the same towels and such (she had a little canopy to keep the rain off) and have been taking pictures every night.
The first few nights we got nothing - a stray cat here or there - a opossum, a raccoon, etc. A couple of nights the camera wasn't working properly so we didn't get good exposures. We returned the unit yesterday and last night we were able to capture on film and positively ID'd two neighborhood dogs. They were in or around our yard from 1:45am to 5:45am. They entered our garage and tore up two towels that I had wrapped Mim in before burying her. These were strewn out in the yard.
The dogs belong to a family across the street and down just a ways - they own an apple orchard and have HUNDREDS of acres these dogs could be exploring. Instead, they are clearly entering our yard in search of more cats which thankfully - I have kept inside. (Minus one stray that I was feeding who is thus far still missing from last night.)
I want to do the right thing here. We've met these people and they seem to be pretty nice.
This conversation will happen tonight. We’ve printed off all of the photos we have. Even a few of Mim – post-tragedy that we took. We will put the evidence in front of them and go from there. Either they will accept responsibility for this and be remorseful for their irresponsibility – or they won’t. Their decision will advance our next step. Of course if my cat(s) had been killed on the neighbor's property I would not be having this conversation. The fact that this is happening on my doorstep is something that needs to be addressed.

Is this the best possible course of action? Our nerves are so fried right now - I want to ensure I make all the right moves. This conversation could hinge on us staying here or getting the **** far away.

Thank you. I haven't been online since this happened. Haven't even had the heart to post in the companion animal memorial thread - all we can do is grieve. Life really has sucked since then.

Reactions: AspireToExpire
It would be very hard for me to keep my emotions in check while talking to them.
Personally, I'm not sure what I would want, as nothing could ever make up for it. But, at the very least I would demand that they keep their dogs in their own yard/house, whether that means putting up a fence or keeping them in the house, and possibly donate money to a cat rescue. If they are jerks about it, I would try my hardest not to hit them and then I would inform them that I will be giving the information to animal control (here that means the dogs will have a record of being vicious and if reported again, they will be confiscated) and then follow through. I would also inform them that they will be sued for destruction of property, and also follow through on it.

Anyway, that's my immediate reaction to it, but it could change later.

Thanks Calliegirl - Honestly I think in this town I could shoot both dogs dead if they are on my property and not a thing could or would be done about it.

Thanks Moll.

I know there are a lot of dog lovers here. I don't hate dogs. When we drove up to the neighbor's yard this morning to get a daylight picture of them roaming around in their own yard they approached us wagging their tails. (The owners were of course - no where in sight.) So I'm sure the dogs were just doing what some dogs do. But I'm not getting Mim back.

I am so sorry to read this Dedalus :( .We have some out of control dogs in our area and the attitudes of their owners astounds me. We have had dogs break onto our property too and threaten our cats. My thoughts are with you.

Reactions: Dedalus
It's hard not to be angry with the dogs, I know I would be. But, it is the owners fault for being selfish and inconsiderate to let them roam. I can understand wanting to shoot the owners, although that's a lot nicer than what I would want to do to them.

I had a roommate who let her friend stay for a while. The friend had a dog who attacked one of my cats. I tried to talk to her about it, but she didn't care. It didn't end well, with me threatening to turn her dog into animal control, if anything further happened to my cat. It almost turned into an actual physical fight. So, I probably shouldn't be giving advice here. Now I'm angry at your neighbor (who I don't even know) and wishing all sorts of terrible things for them.

Sorry about your kitty, she looks very sweet. :(

Reactions: Dedalus
I am so sorry, Dedalus.

The problem is that even if your neighbors acknowledge responsibility, even if they keep their dogs confined, that is no assurance that the same thing, or something similar, won't happen to your other cats. There are other dogs who may get into your yard, not to mention wild animals like foxes, coyotes, raccoons, etc. Just a few weeks ago, a friend who lives in town went out into her attached garage and came face to face with a coyote. Fortunately, she had brought her cats in for the night that particular day - often, they stay out all night.

Cats are at risk from so many animals. Here, I have outbuildings that cats can shelter in, not to mention that my own dogs act as a deterrent to larger predators. And still, those cats who I have not been able to bring into the house because I've simply run out of room last less than a year.

Can you bring your cats in at night? Or build them some predator proof shelter in which you can confine them at night?

So sad! I'm so sorry you lost your beautiful cat.

When I was a kid, a group of neighborhood dogs came in our yard and killed our three bunnies. Our collie tried to defend them. :(

I am so sorry for your loss. :(
I have no advice other than to keep your cats indoors from now on. I would probably go yell and scream obscenities at the neighbors though that isn't very productive.... :(

I would have shot them, but that's me.

If you do shoot anything though, unless you have prior experience, I would suggest not aiming for the head. It can be the quickest way, but it can also go quite wrong. There are a lot of things you can break there that won't necessarily be fatal for days or more even if untreated. It's much easier to hit various vital organs within the chest. Especially if you're using something like a .22, since the brain is better protected. Keep in mind also that gunsights may have a minimum range, in which case you'll be aiming slightly above where the bullet will hit, as the sight is higher on the gun. I'm thinking of adjustable sights on a rifle though, a pistol is probably designed with that in mind, but I haven't used one.

Thanks Moll.

I know there are a lot of dog lovers here. I don't hate dogs. When we drove up to the neighbor's yard this morning to get a daylight picture of them roaming around in their own yard they approached us wagging their tails. (The owners were of course - no where in sight.) So I'm sure the dogs were just doing what some dogs do. But I'm not getting Mim back.

I'm so sorry about Mim (hugs). Since it doesn't sound like the dogs are inherently violent (they just seem to have a prey drive), I don't know what the best way to approach this is. If the neighbors don't listen and let them keep on roaming and the dogs kill another cat or some other pet, if they are reported then someone like the SPCA may just have them euthanized. That would be really awful for the dogs, since I'm putting the whole blame onto the neighbors for not taking better care of their dogs. But if they are taken away, maybe they'd get adopted by someone that would take better care of them. I hope the meeting tonight goes well. Maybe now that they realize how strong the prey drive is, they'll do a better job of keeping them in their yard/home. More hugs for you guys.

If you do shoot anything though, unless you have prior experience, I would suggest not aiming for the head. It can be the quickest way, but it can also go quite wrong. There are a lot of things you can break there that won't necessarily be fatal for days or more even if untreated. It's much easier to hit various vital organs within the chest. Especially if you're using something like a .22, since the brain is better protected. Keep in mind also that gunsights may have a minimum range, in which case you'll be aiming slightly above where the bullet will hit, as the sight is higher on the gun. I'm thinking of adjustable sights on a rifle though, a pistol is probably designed with that in mind, but I haven't used one.

There needs to be a dislike button.

I am so sorry, Dedalus.

The problem is that even if your neighbors acknowledge responsibility, even if they keep their dogs confined, that is no assurance that the same thing, or something similar, won't happen to your other cats. There are other dogs who may get into your yard, not to mention wild animals like foxes, coyotes, raccoons, etc. Just a few weeks ago, a friend who lives in town went out into her attached garage and came face to face with a coyote. Fortunately, she had brought her cats in for the night that particular day - often, they stay out all night.

Cats are at risk from so many animals. Here, I have outbuildings that cats can shelter in, not to mention that my own dogs act as a deterrent to larger predators. And still, those cats who I have not been able to bring into the house because I've simply run out of room last less than a year.

Can you bring your cats in at night? Or build them some predator proof shelter in which you can confine them at night?

I agree with this. Dedalus, is it possible for you to build a cat enclosure out of a window so the cats can come and go outside but are confined to a protected area? I'm planning to do that, but for the time being my cats are confined inside - they would enjoy being outside, but I'm not willing to risk it. It can be a hard decision. Again, sorry for your loss.

That is a very unhelpful post!:mad: