Question Cashews raw or roasted?

M

Marianne

I am not vegan but attempting a cheesecake for my sister in-law who is. the recipe is a freezer set cheesecake with coc. Milk, coc. Oil, agave nectar and lemon juice in addition calling for quick soaked raw cashews. So my question is can I use regular unsalted cashews or do they have to be raw?

Hello there. Is the milk and chocolate that you're using plant based ? Could you clarify by what you mean regular or raw cashews ?

You mean roasted or raw cashews right? If all you have are roasted I have read (never tried) you can sub roasted and still soak as you would for raw. Shyvas probably knows better.
You're using coconut milk and coconut oil?
Sounds really good, we'd love to know how it turns out!

Would you post the recipe? :)

Thank you so much for your fast reply! Sorry for the confusion on my abbreviation. No chocolate. Coconut milk and coconut oil. The recipe is the 7 ingredient cheesecake from the minimalist baker. I'm planning to use raw almonds and dates fore the crust in a small tart pan. The filling calls for raw cashews, lemon juice, coconut oil, coconut milk, and agave nectar. After freezer setting the filling I'm planning to soften and top with fresh raspberries and blueberries. I've not had any experience with vegan cheesecake so not sure if substituting roasted cashews for raw would alter texture, taste, or chemistry too greatly? I'm excited about attempting it though!

I've found questions about using no salt roasted cashews for cashew creme being find, just having a more 'cashew' taste- which sounds fine, esp with coconut and lemon and sweet! I'd still soak in some warm water though.
I have raw cashews but never tried a dessert with them, only a cheeze ball with garlic lemon and refined coconut oil. It was fabulous!

Thanks Silva, well the bullet has been bitten, I'm soaking the cashews now and we'll see how it goes. I'll send an update be it well or utterly catastrophic. I live in a small mountain town with fresh snow last night on top of being Christmas eve and not real hot for the idea of putting chains on my vehicle and driving half an hour for a cup and a half of nuts!!!

Reactions: Second Summer
Good decision- bet you wouldn't find them anyway!
I get mine as raw pieces from trader joes and they're often out, so I buy a few bags and freeze them when I see them! I found them to be the cheapest.
I'm soaking some now for a chocolate cheezecake!

Reactions: KLS52
Well end result.......full recipe had enough to make an 8" tart and 6 minis which made a good tester. Had one sitting at room temp. from the freezer for an hour and it held up surprisingly well. The filling is amazing not too sweet, the crust I used raw almonds and dates which gave the whole thing more of a
peanut butter taste. So all in all for my first vegan dessert I am happy I might take the topping in a different direction due to the PB taste maybe dark chocolate and sliced strawberries? Answer to the question? Roasted cashews worked.IMG_20161224_185005.jpg IMG_20161224_185005.jpg

What a nice picture!
I have cashews still soaking-never got around to it so I'll need to use them today.
I thought it strange that all the cashew cheesecake recipes I found were all raw. I personally wouldn't want the nut/date crust. I'd use a blind baked vanilla wafer or ginger snap crust.

I

I never did make a cheesecake! :rolleyes:
I made a good mac and cheese that I posted in the recipes, but with just a food processor it wasn't completely smooth. I still liked it, and added the chopped spinach I was going to make dip with

I never did make a cheesecake! :rolleyes:
I made a good mac and cheese that I posted in the recipes, but with just a food processor it wasn't completely smooth. I still liked it, and added the chopped spinach I was going to make dip with
Hmmmm...I just got a food processor because I thought that's what I needed to get the cashews smooth! They get stuck in a blender/ninja when there isn't any liquid.

I want to try again heating them first. A Vitamix or Blendtec are what is always recommended,
I was okay with it, but my sons balked at the texture. Not grainy or gritty, but not silky smooth at all

I have only ever used raw cashews for stuff like cheesecake, sauces, etc, but I've heard of others using roasted. Yours looks very nice! Here are two examples of cashew cheesecakes I have done in the past:

Cashew Cream Raspberry Tart with Almonds and Pecan Date Crust.jpg Raw Cashew Cream Tart Sept 2012 5.jpg

Amazing, Naturebound!

I've tasted storebought baked goods made with cashews and found them to be bland, so I have hesitated using them in recipes at home. Plus I love Tofutti products so much. But I am gearing up to make something, with cashews, soon.

Uh oh! I still have a cup of cashews in water in the fridge, from---Christmas? Before?
What should I do? Make fermented cheese? :woo:

Uh oh! I still have a cup of cashews in water in the fridge, from---Christmas? Before?
What should I do? Make fermented cheese? :woo:
I was wondering if they go bad! I have some too that I soaked a few weeks ago but I drained mine and they are in the fridge in a Mason jar! :eek:

I hate when I do that and waste food!