News Carrot 'Bacon' Recipe Attracts Over 12 Million Views

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Reactions: Amy SF
Not by me!!!
I like carrots. Carrots always always taste like carrots.
I think if you mashed a slice of carrot in natto I would still taste it!
I've made carrot dogs from different proportions of marinade. They taste like a carrot flavored hot dog
I've made different 'chese' sauces from carrots and potatoes. They all taste like carrots
No way am I falling for this :rofl:

I was in a vegan shop once with my son and a couple friends. They were all raving about some vegan bacon, telling me quess what it's made from? I spit it out. It was coconut bacon, and it tasted like coconut bacon.

I am sorry to be the first reply!

Know what i like? Baco's!

Reactions: Emma JC and David3
I like those fake bacon thingies on my salads, too! But I don't know.... are they actually food?
They are imitation soy protein- so a very processed soy!
I used to keep some in a pill bottle in my lunch box for work, to add to chili or soups. I would just eat them as is-too many would give a tummy ache!
Oh, but to use as a BLT!

Reactions: Scorpius
I suggest picking up some of the smoky tempeh - it satisfies our occasional desire for something kinda bacony.

Bacon is the one thing that I thought my spouse would have a hard time giving up, it didn't turn out to be an issue.

The one 'fake bacon' that I did make was from rice paper and it turned out pretty good.

Which reminds me, I saw a Sauce Stache video yesterday where he made "pork rinds" from rice paper. Too bad I don't have "oil" around as I would be tempted to try it for fun.

Emma JC

Tempeh_Strips_CAN_Render2.png

Reactions: shyvas and Lou
I suggest picking up some of the smoky tempeh - it satisfies our occasional desire for something kinda bacony.

Bacon is the one thing that I thought my spouse would have a hard time giving up, it didn't turn out to be an issue.

The one 'fake bacon' that I did make was from rice paper and it turned out pretty good.

Which reminds me, I saw a Sauce Stache video yesterday where he made "pork rinds" from rice paper. Too bad I don't have "oil" around as I would be tempted to try it for fun.

Emma JC

Tempeh_Strips_CAN_Render2.png

I make my own tofu crisps which I marinate beforehand. They taste great with guac or just as a nibble. Honestly, carrot crisps don't taste anything like bacon and it makes me kind of smile.

I have bought tempeh strips when I was in the US and find that they taste really good.

Reactions: Emma JC
I've heard bacon isn't just the animal product, it's actually the process that turns whatever is being used INTO bacon. So I can imagine this is quite good!

Though, unfortunately, the main reaction I've heard is "UGH! The only bacon that's bacon is bacon!"

I make my own tofu crisps which I marinate beforehand. They taste great with guac or just as a nibble. Honestly, carrot crisps don't taste anything like bacon and it makes me kind of smile.

I have bought tempeh strips when I was in the US and find that they taste really good.

I've never had tofu crisps. They sound good. can you tell me how to make them or suggest a recipe (link).

I've never had tofu crisps. They sound good. can you tell me how to make them or suggest a recipe (link).

I can't find the pix which is strange as I was only looking at them the other day. They are very thin chips/crisps made with tofu.

You thinly slice firm tofu. Pat the slices dry with tissue paper. Make a marinade with evo, onion powder, smoked paprika, liquid smoke and a
few drops of maple extract. Marinade the strips for a few hours. Bake them in the air fryer or oven until crisp and brown. Sprinkle some nutritional yeast before serving.

I've heard bacon isn't just the animal product, it's actually the process that turns whatever is being used INTO bacon. So I can imagine this is quite good!

Though, unfortunately, the main reaction I've heard is "UGH! The only bacon that's bacon is bacon!"
I agree that it's the process of making food taste like a specific thing and texture.
Cheese is fatty, salty, a certain flavor we all agree on. No problems making vegan versions
Meat has a certain texture, a knife and fork needed, we know the flavors that get added to ways meat is used
Bacon also has fatty, salty, smokiness
all these can achieve the taste using different bases. I remember when low fat was becoming popular and turkey was used instead of pork- people lost their minds saying turkey can't be bacon-or ham, or whatever. They all got used to it and now it's common
Someday plant based will be like that

Anyway, I can taste carrot no much how little is used, or what other flavors are added, so carrot bacon (or cheese, or hot dogs) is a big YUCK from me.
I do like using tempeh with liquid smoke marinades for tempeh bacon, and of course, soy protein bacon.

I really didn't like pig bacon, I do like the flavor

It's called curing and or brining depending on the method used. US bacon is different to the British bacon which is leaner.

I can't find the pix which is strange as I was only looking at them the other day. They are very thin chips/crisps made with tofu.

You thinly slice firm tofu. Pat the slices dry with tissue paper. Make a marinade with evo, onion powder, smoked paprika, liquid smoke and a
few drops of maple extract. Marinade the strips for a few hours. Bake them in the air fryer or oven until crisp and brown. Sprinkle some nutritional yeast before serving.

Thanks!
is evo Extra Virgin Olive Oil? Over here we abbreviate it as EVOO.
Ok, maybe I should get myself an air fryer.

Reactions: Emma JC