Carlsen wins game against Anand - just 7 more games to go!

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Wow, what a game! I've been following a couple of the recent games in the chess world championship between Magnus Carlsen and current world champion Viswanathan Anand. The four first games ended in remis (draw), but in the fifth game Carlsen finally managed a win. Carlsen was playing white pieces though, which is a slight advantage, although it hasn't helped any of the two players in the previous games.

So there are 7 more games to go before (hopefully) it's clear who is this year's world champion.

The championship this year is held in Anand's home city of Chennai in India.

Here is Magnus Carlsen:

Magnus_Carlsen%2833%29.JPG

(Image from Wikimedia Commons, GFDL licence)

And his opponent, Viswanathan Anand:
579px-Viswanathan_Anand_2006.jpg

(Image from Wikimedia Commons, CC Attrib. share Alike 2.5 Generic licence)

Wow, Carlsen won again today! And with black pieces this time! So now the score is 4-2 to Carlsen. There are 6 more games in the match, the last one 26th this month I think. The experts seem to think Carlsen now is very likely to win the match.

Reactions: ledboots
Wow, Carlsen won again today! And with black pieces this time! So now the score is 4-2 to Carlsen. There are 6 more games in the match, the last one 26th this month I think. The experts seem to think Carlsen now is very likely to win the match.
My husband likes chess, and he mentioned young Carlsen earlier today. He was looking at the moves of the games thus far and said that it was an exciting match.

Thanks to this thread, I was all well-informed on the topic. ;)

Another draw today. That makes the score 4.5 - 2.5. There are 5 more games and Carlsen needs another 2 points to win.

Yet another draw, which makes the score 5 - 3. Carlsen played with white pieces today. 4 more games to go. Next game is on Thursday.

Just after today's game there was an unannounced drug test.

what sort of drugs do they test for in chess?
Good question. I found an article on this topic ...
No drugs have ever proven to enhance chess performance by chess players. And so-called memory drugs (if there is such a thing) are not even tested. Research carried out by the Dutch Chess Federation has not produced a single substance that could be considered performance enhancing. [...] Chess players are tested for drugs that appear on the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) banned list. There are more than 100 substances on the banned list. This includes steroids, Erythropoietin (EPO), amphetamines, diuretics, tranquilizers, beta blockers, cocaine, Ventolin inhalers, etc. This list also includes excess levels of alcohol and cannabis, and, at one time, coffee (caffeine was removed from the WADA list in 2004.
Full article: Chess and Drug Testing (ChessManiac.com, 27th May 2013)
It seems no one has ever really tested positive, but several players have refused to take the tests, which by the rules qualifies as a positive.

I missed all this ...

Was watching the 'watch paint dry' championships on another channel.

Quite exciting stuff!

A mere 8 hours (the paint was gloss) into the ladies finals I swear I saw one of the contestants, last year's 'grand-watch-paint-dry-master' the great Norah Borer, nearly blink.

Somewhat dissapointingly my personal favourite, Deborah Dyov-Borhdom, got disqualified in the semis for breathing too heavily onto the paint ...

That sounds exciting, CG.

Well, the news is just in that Calsen wins again! This game was particularly exciting, as Anand now really had to try and win, especially as he was playing with whit pieces today. He attacked right from the beginning, and at one point he used a full 40 minutes to make a move. But Carlsen hit back and in the end Anand gave up.

So the score is 6 - 3 to Carlsen, and he needs only another 0.5 points, i.e. a draw to win the match and become World Champion. There are three more games, but I think they stop playing once one of the players have 6.5 points, i.e. wins.

It's over - Magnus Carlsen is world champion in chess! And what a game! It ended in a draw though, which brought the score to 6.5 - 3.5.