Captain's Log

@Indian Summer About your question asking how this website could be improved... I can't think of anything- I'm quite happy with this one! I still go to VeggieBoards for old times' sake, but most of the members there whom I was more familiar with are apparently gone- when I log on there, I usually recognize maybe only 1 or 2 names in the "recently active" register. I formerly went to 3 other boards, 2 of which were started by VB members, but they folded. (gone the way of the 🦕 )

@Indian Summer About your question asking how this website could be improved... I can't think of anything- I'm quite happy with this one! I still go to VeggieBoards for old times' sake, but most of the members there whom I was more familiar with are apparently gone- when I log on there, I usually recognize maybe only 1 or 2 names in the "recently active" register. I formerly went to 3 other boards, 2 of which were started by VB members, but they folded. (gone the way of the 🦕 )
Thanks Tom! I'm glad we still have a few members from the VB era here, such as yourself, on this forum!

Re: improving the forum: Nothing revolutionary, but I've just installed a new add-on - it's been a while! - which displays a little "OP" badge in the top left corner of the thread starter's avatar.

Thanks Tom! I'm glad we still have a few members from the VB era here, such as yourself, on this forum!

Re: improving the forum: Nothing revolutionary, but I've just installed a new add-on - it's been a while! - which displays a little "OP" badge in the top left corner of the thread starter's avatar.
I like that! Too often posts get all hacked up because the OP's thoughts get all lost

I've started some work to set up a new server for the forum. Don't worry, this won't change anything on the front-end, although I will at some point inevitably break something, but hopefully not for long ...

I'm excited because we're moving from a Linux server to FreeBSD, which is similar to Linux, yet different. Both are Unix-like OSes, but FreeBSD is arguably more Unix-like ... It has a fascinating history, with its early source code developed by the legendary Computer Systems Research Group at University of California, Berkeley. ('BSD' stands for Berkeley Source Distribution.) I have used Linux for more than two decades and know it quite well, but I've spent some time over the last year to learn FreeBSD. It's a brilliant OS, at least for servers - very light on resources, it comes with a lot of the same software as Linux, but it also has some of its own.

Yes, I had a momentary episode of panic lol. It didn’t seem to last long though.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
I've just upgraded the forum software to the latest version.

It's possible that some things might appear a bit broken as there is no corresponding style / theme update yet.

Edit 2022-12-14: I installed the update for the style yesterday, so everything should be perfect now.

Last edited:
I'm moving all my domains - including veganforum.org - to a new registrar as the current registrar was acquired by some evil corporation and their renewal prices suddenly went through the roof. I tried to find a decent small/"independent" registrar but none of the ones I looked at seemed any good. I only have so much time to investigate this, so in the end I just chose Google because they're cheap and technically competent.

I've just upgraded the forum software to the most recent version. Thankfully, it's a super simple process!

I forgot that the style/theme needs updating to correspond with the new forum software version, but there is no such version of the style/theme yet. Hopefully, nothing looks too broken, and there will be a new version of that in the next few days.

Edit: Ah, the new version of the theme became available already. I have updated to this now.

Last edited:
I've created a new forum 'Vegan by Location' which is at the bottom of the Lifestyle category on the main page.

I've made the existing UK & Eire, USA, Other Countries, and Holidays & Travel into sub-forums of this new forum.

I'm not 100% sure it makes complete sense, but it's the best I could do for now!

Apologies for hiding some of the above mentioned forums for so long after the merge.

Please do let me know if you have opinions.

I've created a new forum 'Vegan by Location' which is at the bottom of the Lifestyle category on the main page.

I've made the existing UK & Eire, USA, Other Countries, and Holidays & Travel into sub-forums of this new forum.

I'm not 100% sure it makes complete sense, but it's the best I could do for now!

Apologies for hiding some of the above mentioned forums for so long after the merge.

Please do let me know if you have opinions.
I appreciate that, this looks great!

I wonder if there's a way to disallow postings of duplicate locations, so that everything is in one place once someone starts a location? It would definitely make it easier to search, if there was only one USA > Colorado > Denver/Metro; Rallies and Events; Vegan Restaurants; Vegan Shopping, etc. I'm just curious, it is searchable, which is helpful.