Captain's Log

I've updated some add-ons, and it looks to me like the search bar now behaves much better, at least on my smartphone (Android with Firefox browser).

I've decided to close the non-public Sexuality forum due to disuse and lack of a moderator. I suspect the drop in traffic is related to the fact that we no longer have the feature to post anonymously. Perhaps the forum can be re-opened again at some point.

By the way, we have a number of non-public forums for which you can be granted access if you qualify - just send a message to the corresponding moderator:
  • 18+ discussion (moderator: Indian Summer)
  • 50+ discussion (moderator: shyvas)
  • Women's health (moderator: shyvas)
  • Men's health (moderator: Indian Summer)

Yep, search is back to normal for me. I no longer have to turn my phone to landscape view. 😊

Reactions: shyvas and 1956
I've added an avatar gallery, i.e. pre-made avatars, by my daughter - I'm using one of these avatars right now :) To use this just go to edit avatar, choose an avatar from the gallery and click the "OKAY" button. It's also available in the sign-up form for new members.

I've also fixed the reaction icons, so now they all have the same size. Looks much better, I think.

Reactions: Lou
Depends what you mean exactly. Something like this?
Or this?
I actually have a very rough draft pwa at goo.gl/Um2MAk source code is embedded if you want to see, dynamic single page app

But what I was thinking of was a browser extension (kiwi has chromium extensions on the mobile) and turn it into something like an activist educational tool and community collaboration, try to eventually integrate facebook unilaterally etc
Btw I use GAS for REST, pretty sure GAS is the best

The YouTube links and embeds should now be working again, after I've installed a patch for the forum software. Apparently, YouTube had changed something on their side which meant websites like ours had to change the format of their YT links to make them work again.

Last edited:
Not a problem, but I was just wondering: No more than a few weeks ago (I think?), I clicked on "yes" to the question that popped up: "Enable Vegan Forum to send push notifications?" or something similar to this. I think I had formerly clicked "No"; I log on frequently enough that I don't think I'll miss much, whether I get notifications or not. But even after I clicked "yes" recently, the board still asks for permission.

EDITED TO ADD: There's the message again, at the bottom of my screen: "Vegan Forum would like your permission to enable push notifications". Maybe, if I think of it when I'm not looking for something else, I'll google the term "push notification" to see what it is.

Last edited:
Not a problem, but I was just wondering: No more than a few weeks ago (I think?), I clicked on "yes" to the question that popped up: "Enable Vegan Forum to send push notifications?" or something similar to this. I think I had formerly clicked "No"; I log on frequently enough that I don't think I'll miss much, whether I get notifications or not. But even after I clicked "yes" recently, the board still asks for permission.

EDITED TO ADD: There's the message again, at the bottom of my screen: "Vegan Forum would like your permission to enable push notifications". Maybe, if I think of it when I'm not looking for something else, I'll google the term "push notification" to see what it is.
Sorry for this late reply! I saw your post before, but I haven't run into this myself. Afraid I still don't know how to resolve it. You can go to your preferences - link below - and scroll down to push notifications to see your current settings for it:

Reactions: Tom L.
I've just updated the forum software the latest version, but I've just realised there is no corresponding update to the style/theme yet.

So we might see a few broken-looking pages until the style/theme devs release an update that I can install. Sorry about that.

I've just updated the forum software the latest version, but I've just realised there is no corresponding update to the style/theme yet.

So we might see a few broken-looking pages until the style/theme devs release an update that I can install. Sorry about that.
No worries… As long as the few pages that I frequent work OK. Lol! 😁

I was wondering about something (I might have asked this before but I don"t think it was here):

When a website allows advertisements, how does that website benefit? Does a viewer have to click on the ad, or does the website get a payback wen the ad comes up on a browser? If vegan forum would benefit from having ads, I wouldn't mind seeing or clicking on them.

Last edited:
Hi Tom! I'm actually not sure because I never really seriously considered having ads on the forum.

I get contacted sometimes by people who ask whether we will display their ads and what we would charge, and sometimes by people who would like us to publish their articles (containing links to help search engine ranking of other sites... ) for a fee.

I don't think ads and the potential earnings they could bring would be particularly useful. My understanding is that earnings from ads is typically relatively small anyway, and I fear they would just be considered a nuisance.

I think what would be useful is ideas for how we can make the website more useful or relevant? How can we become something more than "just a forum"? What technical development could take us in that direction? Should we try to partner with another site or organisation (animal rights/advocacy, vegan health/nutrition site, vegan advocacy/outreach organisation etc) for mutual benefit?

Hi Tom! I'm actually not sure because I never really seriously considered having ads on the forum.

I get contacted sometimes by people who ask whether we will display their ads and what we would charge, and sometimes by people who would like us to publish their articles (containing links to help search engine ranking of other sites... ) for a fee.

I don't think ads and the potential earnings they could bring would be particularly useful. My understanding is that earnings from ads is typically relatively small anyway, and I fear they would just be considered a nuisance.

I think what would be useful is ideas for how we can make the website more useful or relevant? How can we become something more than "just a forum"? What technical development could take us in that direction? Should we try to partner with another site or organisation (animal rights/advocacy, vegan health/nutrition site, vegan advocacy/outreach organisation etc) for mutual benefit?
I don't know about organizations, but I'd rather double the supporter donation, or just open it up to donations!
I hate ads

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Blues
Thanks, @Indian Summer and @silva . I was just wondering, because some websites I go to (or have gone to) have had ads. I don't care for ads all that much and would often close them (whereupon I'd usually get a pop-up asking me why I closed the ad! The humor of the situation did not escape me). But I wouldn't mind ads (and would even click on them sometimes) if it helped a website I like.

Which reminds me... I think it's about time I sent in a donation for this site. I lost your address, I.S.- pm me if you wish.

Reactions: Lou