Captain's Log

I've made the previously hidden 'Social Sciences & Humanities' forum from VV into a sub-forum of 'Science & Technology'. It's not the perfect place for it, but not sure where else it should go, so:shrug:. At least now you can more easily find / access it.

Reactions: Val and KLS52
I upgraded the theme to the latest version yesterday. The main page looked slightly broken for a while until I figured out I needed to upgrade one of the add-ons as well.

In other news, I have discovered we are getting a lot of new members, many of whom are spammers, but also many real members, so that is cool!

Reactions: 1956 and KLS52
In other news, I have discovered we are getting a lot of new members, many of whom are spammers, but also many real members, so that is cool!
I have noticed that too. With New Year's resolutions and Veganuary, January should always be a good month.

A lot of the new members don't seem to stick around.

Is there anyway of telling if the VF forum's population is growing or shrinking on a year to year basis?

Is there anyway of telling if the VF forum's population is growing or shrinking on a year to year basis?
Maybe - below are the monthly stats for number of active users and posts for the forum - note that the values represent daily averages for each month:

1612034422558.png

I took over as admin in Sept. 2019 and we merged VF and VV in the beginning of Feb. 2020.

(Some of the active users are presumably spammers, so you can't trust these numbers completely.)

A lot of the new members don't seem to stick around.
Yes, this is an unfortunate fact, although not uncommon in the world of Internet forums. But I do wish there were some way to encourage more new members to stick around, and I'm open to ideas.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a chat room add-on for the forum.

Reactions: KLS52
Is there an issue with the search feature for anyone other than me? I need to know if it’s just on my end. It was working but now it’s not.

I click the icon and nothing happens. I’m in my iPhone but I’m always on my iPhone and it used to work.
I recently got an iPad. I didn’t think of it before but maybe I’ll try from there and see if it works.

I click the icon and nothing happens. I’m in my iPhone but I’m always on my iPhone and it used to work.
I recently got an iPad. I didn’t think of it before but maybe I’ll try from there and see if it works.
Does it work if you go to the main page or on another non-thread page?

I does work on the iPad so it’s a phone issue. Hmmmm. 🤔

I don’t understand though, how it can work one minute then all of a sudden decide not to work for no good reason at all. 🤯