Captain's Log

Tom L.

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Strict vegetarian
@Indian Summer About your question asking how this website could be improved... I can't think of anything- I'm quite happy with this one! I still go to VeggieBoards for old times' sake, but most of the members there whom I was more familiar with are apparently gone- when I log on there, I usually recognize maybe only 1 or 2 names in the "recently active" register. I formerly went to 3 other boards, 2 of which were started by VB members, but they folded. (gone the way of the 🦕 )

OP
OP
Indian Summer

Indian Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
@Indian Summer About your question asking how this website could be improved... I can't think of anything- I'm quite happy with this one! I still go to VeggieBoards for old times' sake, but most of the members there whom I was more familiar with are apparently gone- when I log on there, I usually recognize maybe only 1 or 2 names in the "recently active" register. I formerly went to 3 other boards, 2 of which were started by VB members, but they folded. (gone the way of the 🦕 )
Thanks Tom! I'm glad we still have a few members from the VB era here, such as yourself, on this forum!

Re: improving the forum: Nothing revolutionary, but I've just installed a new add-on - it's been a while! - which displays a little "OP" badge in the top left corner of the thread starter's avatar.

silva

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Tom! I'm glad we still have a few members from the VB era here, such as yourself, on this forum!

Re: improving the forum: Nothing revolutionary, but I've just installed a new add-on - it's been a while! - which displays a little "OP" badge in the top left corner of the thread starter's avatar.
I like that! Too often posts get all hacked up because the OP's thoughts get all lost

OP
OP
Indian Summer

Indian Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've started some work to set up a new server for the forum. Don't worry, this won't change anything on the front-end, although I will at some point inevitably break something, but hopefully not for long ...

I'm excited because we're moving from a Linux server to FreeBSD, which is similar to Linux, yet different. Both are Unix-like OSes, but FreeBSD is arguably more Unix-like ... It has a fascinating history, with its early source code developed by the legendary Computer Systems Research Group at University of California, Berkeley. ('BSD' stands for Berkeley Source Distribution.) I have used Linux for more than two decades and know it quite well, but I've spent some time over the last year to learn FreeBSD. It's a brilliant OS, at least for servers - very light on resources, it comes with a lot of the same software as Linux, but it also has some of its own.

OP
OP
Indian Summer

Indian Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
We were offline for a while earlier tonight (UK time) due to a power issue at the data centre.

Reactions: KLS52

KLS52

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Yes, I had a momentary episode of panic lol. It didn’t seem to last long though.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas