Can't tell whether i have sunburn or dermatitis

Jools Holland

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I usually don't wear sunscreen because it almost always gives me dermatitis on my face, and so when I go outside I cover my face with a mask and wear a hat. However, I found a sunscreen that wasn't causing any type of reaction so I was going out just with sunscreen on my face (and sunglasses so I don't have to put the sunscreen near my eyes because if I do it often makes my eyes sting like crazy), but today and yesterday I've noticed redness on my cheeks and under my eyes and I'm starting to see little white flakes on my forehead and cheeks and just under my eyes.

I'm wondering if it's possible that this is sunburn because the sunscreen is just not working properly, or if it's just dermatitis as a reaction to the sunscreen? If it's the latter I don't care so much (because if it is dermatitis this would only be the second time I think that this has happened and I've been using the sunscreen on my face for a little while now). But if it's sunburn I do care a lot because I don't want to keep damaging my skin, and if it's sunburn I want to know because then I would know the sunscreen isn't working so I can just go back to doing what I was doing before where I cover my face.

Because I have a propensity to get dermatitis on my face, and also because I have rosacea, I always have a hard time knowing whether or not I have been sunburnt or just have dermatitis or rosacea. Is there any way of differentiating between these?

See a dermatologist and I would suggest to use vegan beauty products as you have skin problems. Avoid using beauty products with chemical ingredients.