CA Canada Grants Asylum - Saudi Teenager

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
A Saudi teenager who fled her family alleging abuse and got stranded at a Bangkok
airport has arrived in Canada after being granted asylum there.
Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun, 18, had been trying to reach Australia via Bangkok
but was initially told to return to Kuwait, where her family were waiting.
She refused to fly back and barricaded herself into her airport hotel room, attracting
international attention.
She also said she had renounced Islam, punishable by death in Saudi Arabia.

Twitter post by @OrmistonOnline

Reactions: Andy_T
I thought it was quite an accomplishment by someone who's only 18 - how she managed to keep her head cool and make difficult decisions which ultimately resulted in (I'm assuming) successful asylum in a friendly and liberal country.

Some people have said she'll have a new set of challenges now, trying to build a new life, alone and away from her family in a country very different to where she grew up. She would probably also have had a very sheltered upbringing, so life as an adult will be not be easy. I hope she'll be surrounded by supportive people who understand her unique challenges due to her background.

Last edited:
I thought it was quite an accomplishment by someone who's only 18 - how she managed to keep her head cool and make difficult decisions which ultimately resulted in (I'm assuming) successful asylum in a friendly and liberal country.

That is also what I was thinking. I would imagine that the thought of being forced to marry someone that she doesn't love (or maybe even know) at her young age, plus not living a fulfilled live as a woman gave her the willpower. I would also imagine that the men in her family were unkind and bossy. They allegedly locked her up in a room for 6 months because she had cut her hair short !
In Saudi Arabia, women are 2 nd class citizens and up to not such a long time ago, men did not have to inform their wives that they were getting a divorce !!!

Saudi Arabia to notify women of divorce via text

I'm certain that she will be able to live a happy and decent live in Canada. There is a good quality of life in Canada and Canadians are lovely people. I would also assume that she would have to change her identity and go into hiding for quite a long time.

Last edited:
Toronto — She wants to go to college to study architecture. She would like to take English classes. She is wondering about how to harness her newfound media stardom.
But mostly, the celebrated Saudi-turned-Canadian-refugee Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun just wants to experience what it is like to be a teenager, free to do what she wants and dress how she wants.

“I want to do crazy things I’ve never done before,” she said in an interview Monday evening, sitting in a classroom at a refugee center in downtown Toronto.

Saudi Woman Who Fled Home Embraces All Things Canadian. (O.K., Maybe Not Winter.)

Reactions: Val
I think she took a good decision and seems pretty impressive. I hope she doesn't have a major comedown and miss her family and friends later. There's no guarantee she won't regret this decision later. I doubt it, but it's possible.

I'd be interested to know what sort of media coverage this is getting in Saudi Arabia or whether they are blocking it out. Does anyone know? It could be an inspiration for others.