Can Vegans watch Movies Starring Live Animals?

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hello đź‘‹,
I’m Autistic and have anxiety. I want to go and see the new movie “Dog” about a Belgian Malinois and a military man, but I am now vegan. I am kind of against using real animals in movies, and I don’t know whether or not any animals were harmed during the making. Is it vegan to go and see (or buy, or promote) movies that used real animals? Does anyone here know if any animals were harmed for real for this movie?
Thanks.

Reactions: Lou
Hello đź‘‹,
I’m Autistic and have anxiety. I want to go and see the new movie “Dog” about a Belgian Malinois and a military man, but I am now vegan. I am kind of against using real animals in movies, and I don’t know whether or not any animals were harmed during the making. Is it vegan to go and see (or buy, or promote) movies that used real animals? Does anyone here know if any animals were harmed for real for this movie?
Thanks.
From Michigan State University, here is an overview of United States laws governing the protection of animals in movies: Overview of Laws Concerning Animals in Film Media | Animal Legal & Historical Center

if animals were harmed then no. and in the specific that depends;
if in general you don't agree with animal labour you certainly shouldn't.

Vegans are generally OK with movies using animals. A possible argument is that any harm is miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

First off I want to thank you for making me aware of that movie. I hadn't heard of it and it sounds REALLY GOOD.

I totally doubt that any animals were harmed in that movie. Hollywood movie making does have very strict rules. That being said there was one scene in A Dog's Purpose, that got people upset because they thought it might have harmed the dog. I hadn't seen that movie and wasn't planning to but my impression that it was a mountain out of mole hill concern. I think a lot of the concerns over animal cruelty in The Hobbit was either made up or exaggerated, too.

Animals are in lots of movies. Dogs especially. many of the dogs are highly trained dog actors. I guess in general you could be concerned with dog actors being exploited. my oppinion is that working animals (like dogs and horses) do enjoy their work. But I realize that working animals are a bit of a controversy. PETA concludes that animal - human partnerships are not necessarily exploitive.

I guess its a spectrum thing. We ask dogs to shake our hands before we give them a treat, no one thinks that is exploitive. But we also ask rescue dogs to jump out of helicopters into the ocean.

I did just read a review of that movie and it does sound like it could very well stress you out. I literally sobbed during Marley and Me, but I'm still glad I saw that movie. Dog sounds like an emotional rollercoaster, too.

Vegans are generally OK with movies using animals. A possible argument is that any harm is miniscule in the grand scheme of things.
Actually I read that back and I think it looks wrong. Vegans are not OK with movies using animals.

What I meant to say is that vegans usually feel that the use of an animal in a movie is not sufficient reason to not watch it, and they would usually watch it anyway. That's what I meant to say.

• Informative
Reactions: FlandersOD
It actually may not be vegan, but I don't want to live being that strict. I have avoided movies if I knew an animal was hurt or died.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Rory17 and Tom L.
I can believe that, in theory, a movie which involves using animals might not be abusive or exploitive to those animals. Some movies might even have a beneficial effect on people's attitudes; I haven't seen "A Dog's Purpose", "March Of The Penguins", or "Marley And Me", but they might be examples. However, I don't think animals generally get sufficient protection- so if you choose to avoid such movies, maybe that's a good thing. (I'll admit I mostly concentrate on the more obvious, egregious practices which harm animals, such as the food industry, the use of animals in college or high school biology classrooms, fur, certain aspects of the pet trade, etc.)

Reactions: FlandersOD and Lou