can vegan be in a relationship with nonvegan

fashy

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Any long-term relationship requires respect. Whilst your partner may not understand veganism, they can at least support your choice. That means no bacon jokes, mocking veganism to the family, or moaning about your food (well, unless it tastes really bad). It does mean being open to meeting halfway on topics and decisions. This could be trying a vegan ‘faux meat’ meal so you can eat and cook together once per week. What’s important to you, should at the very least gather respect and acceptance from them.

But, respect goes both ways. While you may not approve of people eating meat (I feel your pain), you have to be able to accept the fact that your significant other may go vegan in 1 months time, 10 years time, or maybe even never. But it doesn’t prevent you from being a positive influence on them, introducing them to different vegan meals so that you can eat together, and maybe even reduce their meat intake. If you can’t handle the thought that your partner may never go vegan, it may be time to have a frank conversation about your future.
To have a successful relationship the following most be considered

1. Respect- a Requirement for Being in ANY Relationship
  2. Setting Boundaries; a Key Component to Being in a Relationship With a Non-Vegan
  3. Adapt Meals To Suit
  4. Communication is Essential in Being in a Relationship with a Non-Vegan
  5. Think Long-Term
  6. Don’t Take Things To Heart

Thurza

Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This is great advice. My husband is not vegan, but is very supportive. He's happy to eat vegan meals, and he is always looking out for me and supportive of my lifestyle. Likewise, I don't hassle him about being pre-vegan (...I have hope...) and am generally respectful and kind. I think relationships like this can work, but like you say, it just requires communication, boundaries, and respect. :heart:

Manish

Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
Most of the people don't have connections at all, thanx to this vegan forum platform, we meet amazing people's here. 🥰

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
D

Deleted member 8337

I used to think that it was possible, but a recent occurrence has me questioning that. My husband and I have been married for over 20 years. I am vegan and he is a flexitarian. I switched from vegetarian to vegan several years before we got married. Our house has always been vegan and he always seemed fine with that. I never stopped him from eating meat outside the house. Last week I found chicken bones hidden in an empty bag in the back of the fridge. His willingness to live in a vegan house made me feel like he loved and respected me, but this now has me worried and sanitizing everything every day before I use it. I haven't said anything, because I don't know what to say. I don't want to sound selfish and petty, but I'm really having a hard time dealing with it.

Anybody have advice?

Emma JC

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I think if you've been able to make it work for this many years that you should be able to have a quiet conversation about what you found in the fridge. Maybe it was a one off? Maybe those bones have been there for a long time? Not discussing it leads to hidden resentment and maybe building it up to something bigger than it needs to be?

good luck, welcome to the forum, let us know if there any other way we can help, Emma JC

Poppy

Senior
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I used to think that it was possible, but a recent occurrence has me questioning that. My husband and I have been married for over 20 years. I am vegan and he is a flexitarian. I switched from vegetarian to vegan several years before we got married. Our house has always been vegan and he always seemed fine with that. I never stopped him from eating meat outside the house. Last week I found chicken bones hidden in an empty bag in the back of the fridge. His willingness to live in a vegan house made me feel like he loved and respected me, but this now has me worried and sanitizing everything every day before I use it. I haven't said anything, because I don't know what to say. I don't want to sound selfish and petty, but I'm really having a hard time dealing with it.

Anybody have advice?

This is a completely crazy time and perhaps he's just temporarily lost his way (hopefully). Definitely have a chat. My question is why bones? I could better understand finding chicken nuggets or something he might want to eat, but not trash. Why wasn't that thrown away?