can vegan be in a relationship with nonvegan

fashy

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan Newbie
Any long-term relationship requires respect. Whilst your partner may not understand veganism, they can at least support your choice. That means no bacon jokes, mocking veganism to the family, or moaning about your food (well, unless it tastes really bad). It does mean being open to meeting halfway on topics and decisions. This could be trying a vegan ‘faux meat’ meal so you can eat and cook together once per week. What’s important to you, should at the very least gather respect and acceptance from them.

But, respect goes both ways. While you may not approve of people eating meat (I feel your pain), you have to be able to accept the fact that your significant other may go vegan in 1 months time, 10 years time, or maybe even never. But it doesn’t prevent you from being a positive influence on them, introducing them to different vegan meals so that you can eat together, and maybe even reduce their meat intake. If you can’t handle the thought that your partner may never go vegan, it may be time to have a frank conversation about your future.
To have a successful relationship the following most be considered

1. Respect- a Requirement for Being in ANY Relationship
  2. Setting Boundaries; a Key Component to Being in a Relationship With a Non-Vegan
  3. Adapt Meals To Suit
  4. Communication is Essential in Being in a Relationship with a Non-Vegan
  5. Think Long-Term
  6. Don’t Take Things To Heart

Thurza

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
This is great advice. My husband is not vegan, but is very supportive. He's happy to eat vegan meals, and he is always looking out for me and supportive of my lifestyle. Likewise, I don't hassle him about being pre-vegan (...I have hope...) and am generally respectful and kind. I think relationships like this can work, but like you say, it just requires communication, boundaries, and respect. :heart:

Manish

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Omnivore
Most of the people don't have connections at all, thanx to this vegan forum platform, we meet amazing people's here. 🥰

• 😍
Reactions: Emma JC