Nutrition & Diet Can Fermented Foods Help?

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
"According to Dr. Sadeghi, fiber-rich foods are generally enough to boost and maintain a healthy gut biome. While companies claim to have packaged the secret to digestion via fermented foods—such as yogurt, sauerkraut, kombucha, wine, and cheese—the truth is there is no recognized scientific evidence to support these claims."

Hey, this is what I have been saying.

I used to be concerned with probiotics. But I am now pretty sure that the whole industry is a scam. Almost no research, and no good research concluding its beneficial.
There is also a lot of doubt that live cultures can even withstand the trip through our stomachs.
There is also a lot of common sense and logic siding against the probiotics.
Our gut biome consists of hundreds (maybe thousands) of different species. Most of the fermented food contains just one or two species. and those species probably don't exist in our guts naturally. Even the most expensive probiotics only contain less than 50 (most less than 20).
Some of our gut's bacteria is capable of doubling in numbers every hour or two. So just one bacteria can become millions in just a day or two.

I think the prebiotic stuff makes sense, tho. Eat good foods to fuel the good bacteria.

I do take a probiotic after i have been treated with an antibiotic. I figure that it might jumpstart the biome. Kindof like after a forest fire they spread grass seed.

Oh yes, I should have said that I have had to be antibiotics on and off since 2014 as I keep getting a sinus infection so that is why I take a probiotic on and off.

I actually like some fermented food like kimchi so I suppose it can't be doing me any harm having fermented foods.

I hate kombucha, OMG that stuff is disgusting.:laughing:

Oh yes, I should have said that I have had to be antibiotics on and off since 2014 as I keep getting a sinus infection so that is why I take a probiotic on and off.

I actually like some fermented food like kimchi so I suppose it can't be doing me any harm having fermented foods.

I hate kombucha, OMG that stuff is disgusting.:laughing:

Never had it but it doesn't appeal to me.

I don't like kombucha either.

I do like sauerkraut and pickles and always have some in the frig. But my days of getting yogurt just for the health value.