Call Me Ishmael

IshmaelKipling

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
My name is IshmaelKipling. It's not my real name of course. I picked Ishmael because that's the name of the protagonist in Moby Dick. And Kipling is the last name of Rudyard Kipling who wrote the Jungle Book. I've been vegan now for about a month. I did attempt being vegetarian about 6 years ago, I was only able to hold out for three months. I'm pretty sure I can do it for good this time. I've been reading a lot of scientific literature and watching youtube vegan channels. My favorite vegan Youtuber is Vegan Gains. I know some vegans think he may be a bit too confrontational, but he is entertaining.

None of my friends or family are vegan. I recently told my parents I am trying to be vegan and my father is trying to talk me out of it. But the arguments of veganism make complete sense now. When you eat meat, you do tend to delude yourself. So I can understand how it can be difficult for non-vegans to process the logic.

I don't intend to announce that I am vegan or judge others, particularly my friends. I intend to simply lead by example and hopefully others will follow. I'd also like to say that I think it's more difficult for men to become vegan, since eating meat is seen as masculine.

Just thought I would introduce myself since it seems to be a ritual when joining a forum.

Last edited:
Hi IK,

I go out with the same people I used before going vegan, more over, I do not drink alcohol.

At the pub I drink water, whilst the other guys have beer, and there was never a situation where I felt less masculine than when I used to eat meat and drink scotch.

Gab

http://barnivore.com/ ?

Most bottled lagers tend to be vegan, but it's true you do need to avoid the keg in almost all cases.
I am a whisky drinker and I tend to just be sure about the company I'm buying from using barnivore.

Thank you winter.frost that is a great site and Laphroaig (which was my favorite) is vegan according to them.

... I stopped drinking way before becoming vegan, out of the blue, one day I stopped seeing the point of it. Same happened with cigarettes and coffee drinking (at different times). Made me think that as I was going through life and resolving various internal issues, I didn't need all these crutches: alcohol to feel cool in social settings, cigarettes to get through the stressful times and coffee to stay awake.

Instead of these vices, other things developed - being athletic (running and lifting weights) for example.

Gab

Reactions: winter.frost